Anyone use the SAC K-1000 amplifier with anything other than AKG K-1000?
Jul 13, 2009 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

InSides

100+ Head-Fier
So I recently acquired a SAC K-1000 amplifier packaged with a mint pair of K-1000's, and been thinking about hooking my other headphones to it instead of the K-1000.

Since all of my headphones are rewired with a Neutrik 4-pin XLR, I went ahead and plugged the BeyerDynamic DT990Pro in with the SAC set at low gain.

Luckily nothing blew up - but I didn't particularly like the sound and set it aside.

Then, was moving some equipment today and thought about plugging the AKG K-701, which I did to an interesting surprise.

It sounds quite good, but I've had them on for 15 minutes... more listening is in order to evaluate effects. Should be interesting.

Anyone else using their SAC K-1000 with other dynamic headphones?

Jul 13, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 5
I think very few around here have the SAC K-1000.
It is relative powerful amplifier though, since it targeted towards the hard to drive AKG K1000. So no surprise it may not be an ideal match to most other moving-coil headphones.

The AKG K340 perhaps would be a nice match though, as it seems to be somewhat hard to drive as well.

Jul 13, 2009 at 9:04 PM Post #3 of 5
I considered but did not buy that amp half a year ago when a last run was manufactured in Germany. It was very difficult to get information about the sound quality compared to other alternatives.

It is a solid state class A amp with enough power to drive K1000 so it seems reasonable to assume that it works well with other headphones, especially those that are hard to drive. K701 and K1000 have similarities in sound signature and it might have best synergy with that type of headphone.

Must be nice to have a K1000 with the original amplifier, it was not manufactured by AKG but recommended and it seems it had a "half-official" status. So it is significant in headphone history and a little cult over it.

Happy listening!

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks, it does work well with the AKG K-701 - not so much with the HD-650.

And my amp has "AKG Acoustics" on the faceplate. No mention of SAC except a a label on the back with the serial number.

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Interesting, labeling must have changed. Seems that SAC manufactured the amps for AKG in the start and later continued to produce them independently. The last run that was offered in the end of 2008 was SAC amplifiers. According to the information at that time, production has ended but the lifetime was unusually long anyway - should be more than 15 years between the first and last amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back