Anyone use the new MDR-XB line of headphones yet?
Feb 1, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #2 of 12
ive tried them and i think they are a tad overpriced. typical sony. but the bass isn't as flatulent as i think it would be on these cans, or maybe im just too much of a basshead lol. and another plus is that they are damn comfy. personally i would skip the 300 because its quite a weak contender; the biggest one, though, (is it XB700?) is quite a beast with ultra comfy pads and nice bass. though id still say they're overpriced by maybe 10-20 dollars.

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 12
i got the xb700 only tried the xb300 as well but yea they are uber comfy and sounds great right out of portable... the 700 is big improvement over 300... and i think they are sold for around 70bucks... im in canada and our retail price is 170 but i found them for 99cad thats good price for canadians if we want them within the border yet states get them cheaper lucky guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 4, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 12
I had the MDR-XB 700, and really liked the sound.
The bass was not that exaggerated as Sony suggests.
They sounded quite balanced and pleasant to my ears.
I hated the earpads though. They are deep, but not wide enough.

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:40 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the MDR-XB 700, and really liked the sound.
The bass was not that exaggerated as Sony suggests.
They sounded quite balanced and pleasant to my ears.

Yeah this pretty much echoes my description of the XB's although I think they are super comfy, my ears fit inside the hole and the seal is terrific, kinda like IEMs, no doubt thats why the bass is so well done. I tried all 3 and kept and the XB500... best bass I've heard in a headphone, better than DT770s and even my beloved HFI-780s as far as extension goes... still not as good all-rounders, great for techno!

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #7 of 12
I've tried all 3 models I think in various stores and I have agree with the general consensus, they are decent cans. Despite the advertising, the bass is not as overpowering as you'd expect, isolation and comport are superb, though they are still supra-aural headphones, even the 700. The build quality seems great given the few times I've held them. And the online price is close to half the MSRP. Amazon has the 700's for $80 USD

Oct 4, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 12
I auditioned all 3 and preferred the XB700 for having the most even tonal balance. I also got mine mail order from Amazon.

I don't find the 700 being supra-aural at all. Those monster truck tires are big enough to fit around mine.
L3000.gif

Oct 5, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #9 of 12
I currently own the XB500. I needed some cans with good bass without hurting my wallet. I got them online for $50 shipped and I can assure you, they're well worth it. LOTS of bass, but not overpowering. SUPER comfortable pads, but they are large and makes you stand out if you're wearing them in public (oh god, I can't imagine the XB700..). For $50, you can't complain.

I bought it out of my own judgment and curiosity. There aren't much reviews here at Head-Fi, so it's not very well known here. I didn't think it would wow me since it was $50 and it was Sony.. but after a few hours of constant burn it, it continues to wow me. I never tried to XB300 or XB700 but I do need some more portable cans so I might look to get the XB300 as my next cheap portable. Hey, for like $30, I can't complain right?

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #10 of 12
I have the XB 300 and was very surprised how well they sound..I have ordered the xb700 and hope they are as described as above..I am also quite pleased that the bass is as good as more expensive headphones as I was debating whether to get the dt770's which I'm sure is overall better but how much better????

Oct 5, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelbe3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the XB 300 and was very surprised how well they sound..I have ordered the xb700 and hope they are as described as above..I am also quite pleased that the bass is as good as more expensive headphones as I was debating whether to get the dt770's which I'm sure is overall better but how much better????

The DT770 Pro 80 ohm is not better than the XB-700 IMO.
In fact, I prefer the XB-700, because the bass is not as overwhelming as on the DT770/80, and the highs are much smoother (not shrill and sibilant).

The DT770 2005 consumer edition is in a different league, meaning more refined and detailed, with better soundstage etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back