Anyone use paypal?
Feb 26, 2014 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

RoosyRooster

Head-Fier
Ok I was going to setup a paypal account but it gave me the options to link it to my bank account or my credit/debit card. Which one is safer/better for me? If I link it to my credit/debit card will any money I receive still show up in my bank account?
Thanks!

Feb 26, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 12
I use Paypal. Not the best company, but their service has worked fine for me the past couple of years. Haven't really ran into issues, other than the annoyance of them sometimes holding money (usually Ebay sales). If you link your bank account or cards, money will still be transferred into Paypal, but from there you're able to transfer the money into whichever account you'd like. 

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #4 of 12
I believe you can do a guest paypal checkout where you dont make an account, you just use your card for a one time purchase.  I've done it on sites like Newegg and zzounds.

Feb 26, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 12
  I believe you can do a guest paypal checkout where you dont make an account, you just use your card for a one time purchase.  I've done it on sites like Newegg and zzounds.

^That's what I do.  I removed my bank account from there when they got hacked years and years ago.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #7 of 12
To receive money, you will probably need to create an account and link it with a bank account.

I don't like them as a company (freezing accounts for no reason, or stupid reasons), but you have to use it to use eBay.

Guest Paypal only works for payments.

Feb 27, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 12
  How does guest paypal work? Do I only need their email and I put in my credit card then they get the money?

Yes, at that point Paypal becomes just like the card readers at a gas station or grocery store, with the exception that you need to put in the receiving persons Paypal name or email address.  Most times people's Paypal account name is their email they set the acct. up with.    

And yes, Gary is right, if you need to receive funds from someone the only way is to use a full fledged Paypal account.

Feb 27, 2014 at 12:24 PM Post #9 of 12
I use the Greendot card that I keep at zero until I am going to purchase something. Then I fill it up and use Paypal. Funds are available on the Greendot card a couple minutes after I load it with money. It does not remember my bank debit card that I use to load the funds unless I want it to, then Greendot still asks for the card's CCV. I also use the card for Internet purchases separate of Paypal too.

Bob Graham

Feb 27, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #10 of 12
Is linking Paypal to my bank account safe I don't want to take any risks with my money? I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones from Head-Fi but I'm not sure which method of sending and receiving money is best.

Feb 27, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 12
  Is linking Paypal to my bank account safe I don't want to take any risks with my money? I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones from Head-Fi but I'm not sure which method of sending and receiving money is best.

I have used Paypal almost ever since it existed. I never had any problems. I never heard of anyone having actual problems, except sellers who use the service. And it does add an extra layer of protection. This includes the resolving of disputes. But like you, I was a little concerned about having Paypal keep my banking information. However, I had the bank create an extra account for me which is the one I use for Paypal. Problem solved.

Bob Graham

PS: For that matter, taking the right precautions, I have never had any problems with any purchase on the Internet. This goes way back to the infancy of the Internet, before Internet stores, before EBay, even before one of the first commercial services on the Internet, AOL. You just have to buy smart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back