Anyone use Nintendo DS?
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Warhawk

100+ Head-Fier
I've been really thinking of selling my P2 and getting 2 8gb micro sd cards for it for about $33 each.

I mean, thats 16gb of storage(plus my 4gb for games/homebrew), tons of ds games to play(way better than samsung games), double screens, it has tons of homebrew applications and hacks.
It plays ogg, flac, wav, mp3, etc etc etc...
Bad thing, only plays a certain video file which is utterly crap, since the dual processors are so slow.
But I'd rather play the games anyways.
biggrin.gif

And right now I've been testing the battery.
It's currently at about 20 hours(as of right now, I'll update when it dies) of running music out of headphones, and I have turned it off/on about 10 times because I didn't think it would last this long lol.

Only bad thing about it is that it's BIG, I don't mind the heavy part but it's not nearly as portable as my P2.

Also, the sound is really clean out of the DS, very flat, and it goes very loud.
And the speakers are a +.
Only bad thing is no EQ, unless I find an app for this.

I've even used this in my car through the front aux since I forgot my P2, and it sounded great and loud at only like half the volume.

Anyone else use a DS as a backup for a PMP?
Of course, if anyone has a supercard, or some other card to hack it.

Jul 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 26
If you're willing to go through all that trouble to do so, go ahead. I never really tried putting songs on my DS cause it was too much of a hassle (turning on the DS and running Moonshell and then finding the song) and SD cards were quite pricy when I first got my flashcart.

Look into the CycloDS or other flashcarts that have SDHC support, 32 gigs on a SD card...

Jul 22, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 26
Meh, I was very disappointed in the output from the DS. It would distort in Moonshell, and it didn't go loud enough for my tastes. I run my Zune at 8/9 of 20...

Jul 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 26
Don't. The quality you get out of a DS's output is garbage. Having a dedicated music player is so much better than using a gaming device for music. I've used my PSP for a long while, but it was too heavy, and killed the battery for gaming. First day I used my DS with moonshell, the sound distorted, wasn't loud enough, and it was just a big mess.

Edit: CycloDS, ftw.

Jul 22, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 26
I want to get an R4 soon. They look very neat. However, I don't think that the DS is an apt music player. The games, however, are fantastic.

Jul 23, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #8 of 26
CycloDS is still superior to the M3/R4 series. (Same build) You can play games that use heavy wifi loads, such as Mario Party, on the Cyclo. Until R4/M3 fix this in their cards, I'd go Cyclo all the way.

Edit: Supercard and Cyclo are the main ones that can use MicroSDHC cards. There are others, but I can't remember them from the top of my head.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #9 of 26
I'm not worried about battery life, as its about 23 hours.
Also I can buy another battery from radioshack for $5, so that's not a big deal.

And I use supercard which can use SDHC, plus 8gigs for $33 is not a lot of money.

Also, I use the supercard firmware and the sound is great, no distortion.
It couldn't distort with my er4p's since the volume doesn't go past like 20-30%, and I used it with my car at about 70-80% and there was no distortion.

If only I could find a way to EQ it...

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 26
I just found a review of the CycloDS on gbatemp.net, and I'm impressed! Once I can, I'm going to get it.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #11 of 26
The CycloDS is rather expensive.

At present, there are cheaper alternatives that perform better price/performance ratio wise.

Jul 23, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #12 of 26
I don't mind the lack of microsdhc support that the R4 has, but if you got the latest firmware updates, then your r4 should be able to run most games without any problems.

ds though isn't a good alternative Dap

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 26
nds 's output hiss like crazy.

Jul 23, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #14 of 26
If you're about to jump on the CycloDS wagon, I recommend ordering the Cyclo from realhotstuff.com. (CycloDS Evolution)

I ordered and received mine in 3 days. Newegg also has the best prices for MicroSD(HC) cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back