Anyone use multiple sources with their headphones? How do you handle the switching?
Dec 14, 2015 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Trojita

Head-Fier
Is there anything quite like what an AV Receiver has where you have all of your source components hooked up and you are able to switch between them? I have a nice 5.1 setup but was recently thinking about using my headphones more often. I have several gaming systems, HTPC, Apple TV etc, and I don't know how I'd be able to use a DAC/AMP on these things without having a huge headache plugging and unplugging. I could just use the Pioneer Elite VSX21-TXH receiver I have, but I heard there may be cons to using a HT receiver for headphones (seems to be a common argument on Head-fi).

Also I take it that the Lossless audio from Blu-rays is impossible to transmit anyway via Optical? USB?

Dec 15, 2015 at 1:52 AM Post #2 of 4
Connect everything possible to the A/V receiver using HDMI, using optical is second best.
Optical (using DDL or DTS-Connect compression) will carry up to 6-channels (5.1) at a max of 24-bit/48K, which is still fairly good sound quality, from a Blu-ray disk
If you do not use compression, optical will give you 2-channels of 24-bit/96K (maybe 24-bit/192K)
HDMI will carry up up to 8-channels of 24-bit/192K digital audio, without even using compression.

250-Ohm to 300-Ohm headphones is the safe range, for using headphones plugged directly into a receiver.
Your receiver has a lot of power, so even 600-Ohm headphones should work (best guess)
If your looking for movie theater like sound, from open headphones, get the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm.
For closed headphones with great clarity, Beyerdynamic T70.
If you can budget $600 for headphones, check out the new Beyerdynamic DT-1770 (250-Ohm) headphones.
Big on music, maybe the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650.

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:50 AM Post #3 of 4
  Connect everything possible to the A/V receiver using HDMI, using optical is second best.
Optical (using DDL or DTS-Connect compression) will carry up to 6-channels (5.1) at a max of 24-bit/48K, which is still fairly good sound quality, from a Blu-ray disk
If you do not use compression, optical will give you 2-channels of 24-bit/96K (maybe 24-bit/192K)
HDMI will carry up up to 8-channels of 24-bit/192K digital audio, without even using compression.

250-Ohm to 300-Ohm headphones is the safe range, for using headphones plugged directly into a receiver.
Your receiver has a lot of power, so even 600-Ohm headphones should work (best guess)
If your looking for movie theater like sound, from open headphones, get the Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm.
For closed headphones with great clarity, Beyerdynamic T70.
If you can budget $600 for headphones, check out the new Beyerdynamic DT-1770 (250-Ohm) headphones.
Big on music, maybe the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650.

So the receiver is good enough?

Oh I already have some headphones

Fostex X00
Sennheiser HD700
Fidelio X2
Sennheiser HD598

I always wanted to try a full over the ears Beyerdynamic Headphone.

Dec 15, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 4
  So the receiver is good enough?
Oh I already have some headphones
Fostex X00
Sennheiser HD700
Fidelio X2
Sennheiser HD598
I always wanted to try a full over the ears Beyerdynamic Headphone.

The Sennheiser HD700, being 150-Ohm should do fine plugged into a receiver.
Sennheiser HD598, border line if it works ok.
But i would think the Fidelio X2 and Fostex X00 would have issues plugged into a receiver's headphone jack.

But as you already own the receiver and the headphones, have you tired them all plugged into the receiver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back