Anyone use mic cables for can mods?
Feb 19, 2009 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

HiFi1972

100+ Head-Fier
I don't think I saw any posts in the DIY forum, I did find loads of people braiding their own cables, but what about using a good quality single pair mic cable?

I was making some audio cables last night and realized that the cores are probably 22ga.

?

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #2 of 11
they are very thick..their adapter/jacks needs to be changed? ..unless i am missing smthg.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 11
Sorry, I meant I have the cable without the connectors and would be making my own connections to the cans and 1/4" plug (this kind of cable can also be used for instrument cabling, in other words there's a ground, two cores and cotton insulation).

I guess I'm wondering if DIYers just don't think of this as an option because they don't know it would be a good replacement for stock cabling or maybe I'm overlooking something?

I know people like to braid their own cables and techflex them, and you could definitely do that with this kind of cable (you could just take them out of the rubber sleeve); ditch the shield if you want to make unbalanced cables only, etc.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 11
Mic cables would be nice for full balanced connection, but I wouldn't put both stereo channels inside a single cable. You get higher interchannel capacitance (think crosstallk) and common ground wire. That probably wouldn't be worse than the stock cable but if you're doing some fancy replacement cables you'd better get paranoid about those things.

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoewreck /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mic cables would be nice for full balanced connection, but I wouldn't put both stereo channels inside a single cable. You get higher interchannel capacitance (think crosstallk) and common ground wire. That probably wouldn't be worse than the stock cable but if you're doing some fancy replacement cables you'd better get paranoid about those things.

Okay, thanks for pointing that out (hadn't thought about the common ground)!

So do people use the star quad cable then because you then get 2 shielded grounds?

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 11
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I'm looking to replace the stock cable on my dear 240DF's, it's a single cable to the left earcup, so it looks like I at least won't need to worry about a Y split.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back