1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Anyone use Dolby Atmos with headphones?

Discussion in 'Sound Science' started by Paddy, Sep 23, 2018.
  1. Paddy
    I have a Samsung note 9 which supports Dolby Atmos, my setup is a Fiio A5 and Hifimam Sundara. I notice a significant difference switching Dolby Atmos on, mainly in increasing volume by bringing forward instruments that usually sound quite distant, it does this while still maintaining that airy feel. I was wondering what are peoples opinions on Dolby Atmos as I feel it significantly impacts the sound signature of a headphone, still not sure if it's for the better or worse as sometimes it can almost get too harsh.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  2. SilverEars
    I'm wondering what's the generalized curve or EQ being applied to transfer to Atmos response for headphone?

3. 3mocrash
    Dolby atoms is amazing, or atleast a step up from previous generations of androids stock audio. It does make a difference. Very nice add by Samsung. I just dont like that if dolby atmos is on it completely nullifies your EQ settings but sometimes makes me feel I can live without it to bw honest.

4. mindbomb
    I've used dolby atmos for headphones and I think it is one of the most accessible forms of virtual surround sound for people because it doesn't change things too much. It looks like what samsung is doing is combining that with dolby prologic 2 for the phone version.

5. Paddy
    Do people not find it really brightens up the sound to almost piercing levels?

6. 3mocrash
    I feel that it does sometimes IF I use Movie mode, but while using Music and Voice preset I don't really think so.

7. Zenvota
    Ive always found this to be the case with hrtf based virtual surround sound / binaural rendering engines / convolution w.e. When using Out of Your Head I eq headphones to a flat uncompensated response. Heres the eq i use for Stax SR207 for normal listening:
    20180930_203700.jpg

And heres the eq for use with OOYH:
    20180930_203733.jpg

8. Tsukuyomi
    I have a Samsung note 9 phone as well, and have tried the atmos with a variety of headphones that i own or get to use from friends.
    I find it really depends on the headphone more. lets face it, its a type of processor that runs on a phone. the headphones you're using in order to really hear any improvement should be designed with efficiency for mobile devices. that being said, when i tried for example my B&O H6 2nd Gen, all i noticed was that it warmed up the sound more by i think bleeding the lows into the mids. which was very unpleasant. the highs for me didnt change a whole bunch. when i tried it with my B&W P7 it almost made no impression. I feel like to my ears the atmos and p7 are almost tuned identically which is very odd. still, perhaps you have your atmos tuned to something different from mine. that being said, since my little test i never have the atmos turned on and i use foobar2000 with the default sound signature of the mobile.