Anyone use a PS Audio Ultimate Outlet?
Dec 9, 2007 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nick20

Banned
Just wondering if there are any ACTUAL owners of this product out there. I'm trying to gather some opinions on how well this unit works. I'm not expecting a miracle, SQ wise either. For around $150 used (Audiogon) it is in my price range, and looks better than anything out there for this price.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just wondering if there are any ACTUAL owners of this product out there. I'm trying to gather some opinions on how well this unit works. I'm not expecting a miracle, SQ wise either. For around $150 used (Audiogon) it is in my price range, and looks better than anything out there for this price.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

I use the them and I find they do an excellent job of reducing noise without screwing up the sound. Since they only have two outlets I use an outlet extender seen in the second pic to add outlets and run an entire setup off one Ultimate Outlet. In the third pick you see one UO running two racks of equipment with two 6 outlet extenders; one in plain view and one hidden behind the second rack. I would definitely recommend giving a UO a try.
wink.gif

HPIM0281.jpg

HPIM0409.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks! and nice setup by the way.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm more so, concerned about making the sound worse, as I've read numerous threads where "cheap" conditioners/surge can hurt the sound in a bad way.

This is about all my budget allows for, and "I" personally think its a great item, at the "used" prices.

Thanks for taking the time to take a few pictures. I appreciate it.

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 11, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 13
I used to own two Ultimate Outlets and found that they seemed to offer a very slight improvement to the noise floor in my audio hardware, but I also found that high-power devices (like a 250W speaker amp) would lose bass response when plugged into one.

I've since upgraded to the newer Duet model, which has all the benefits of the UO (and perhaps more, though I didn't carefully compare them) without the loss of bass when my amp is plugged into it.

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 13
I have High Current Ultimate Outlet and I got a slight "improvement" when I put it between two P300 Power Plants because I had excessive brightness in the system.

2 years later when I used it with a single P300 I found that it hurt the sound more than improved it. My computer was plugged into the same outlet as the UO + P300 and when I removed the UO I got better sound but it was bright and fatiguing. After I underclocked the computer I got smoother sound, but after I plugged the computer into another outlet with extension strips the brightness problem was gone.

The UO is a good band-aid for brightness but I found better ways to fix the brightness that doesn't hurt the sound. I tried UO just for my computer transport and I liked the sound of the wall better because it sounded faster. I'm not using the UO anywhere in my system anymore.

Dec 12, 2007 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have High Current Ultimate Outlet and I got a slight "improvement" when I put it between two P300 Power Plants because I had excessive brightness in the system.

2 years later when I used it with a single P300 I found that it hurt the sound more than improved it. My computer was plugged into the same outlet as the UO + P300 and when I removed the UO I got better sound but it was bright and fatiguing. After I underclocked the computer I got smoother sound, but after I plugged the computer into another outlet with extension strips the brightness problem was gone.

The UO is a good band-aid for brightness but I found better ways to fix the brightness that doesn't hurt the sound. I tried UO just for my computer transport and I liked the sound of the wall better because it sounded faster. I'm not using the UO anywhere in my system anymore.

Thanks. I'm not concerned if it improves the sound. I'm more worried about it degrading the SQ.

Nevertheless, I also want the product to work as advertised. Provide me some conditioning, protect against surges, and provides clean power. If it can REALLY do this, that's all I want.
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Thanks. I'm not concerned if it improves the sound. I'm more worried about it degrading the SQ.

Nevertheless, I also want the product to work as advertised. Provide me some conditioning, protect against surges, and provides clean power. If it can REALLY do this, that's all I want.
biggrin.gif

I would get a Duet if I were you.

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

I would get a Duet if I were you.

That's out of my price range. And I only need two outlets. One for my CDP, and one for my amp. That's it.

I'd like to get a used UO from Audiogon, and they go for right above $150 which, is in my budget.

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

That's out of my price range. And I only need two outlets. One for my CDP, and one for my amp. That's it.

I'd like to get a used UO from Audiogon, and they go for right above $150 which, is in my budget.

Thanks,

-Nick
smily_headphones1.gif

There are only two Nano Crystalline filters inside the Duet so it's best for two components only. The extra ports are there just for show... If I had 3 or more components I would get a Quintet instead. The Duet is $200 used from Audiogon. I would skip a few meals and save up for it instead, it would be worth it in the long run. It also has better protection.

Dec 12, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

There are only two Nano Crystalline filters inside the Duet so it's best for two components only. The extra ports are there just for show... If I had 3 or more components I would get a Quintet instead. The Duet is $200 used from Audiogon. I would skip a few meals and save up for it instead, it would be worth it in the long run. It also has better protection.

Thanks for the information.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back