Anyone use a checksum database for rips?
Sep 5, 2010 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
[This is computer audio but not equipment, please move if necessary]

I have a lot of flac files and have discovered the metaflac --show-md5 command. Armed with that, I would like to check the accuracy of the rips against a database (I understand EAC does that at rip time).

The files on cddb, freedb and musicbrainz provide album identity information but I can't find any checksums for tracks.

Has anyone looked at this?

Cheers.

Sep 5, 2010 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 6
After a quick search I've found a couple options that verify FLAC files against the AccurateRip database:

Cuetools (Windows)
ARFlac.pl (*NIX, probably incl. OSX)

I've used neither but I'm going to try Cuetools shortly. Unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a way to do batch operations with Cuetools.

Update: Cuetools has a "Multiselect Browser" that allows it to do batch operations. I think this is the droid you're looking for.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the reply. I've had only a brief look but that perl script has given me a decent steer, especially in terms of how to get at the accurate rip database.

I've discovered a couple of other things. The MD5 checksum stored in the flac file relates only to the data portion of the wav file. The reasoning is that apparently some metadata can be put into wav files. I'm not entirely sure why the perl script decodes the flac file (though as I said, I've not looked closely yet) unless the accurate rip database checksums are for the full wav file, which could be problematical.

Still, it's looking more promising. Certainly for files where I have wav and flac from different machines, I can cross-reference them reasonably easily, unless the CD offset that accurate rip attaches such importance to bites.

Here's hoping!

Sep 11, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 6
Unhappily, this isn't going well. (See ARFlac.pl link above.)

For most of my files, I'm being presented with track not found in database but I think it's not found the album. I presume it's because the ID has been created incorrectly rather than because it's not in the database. I suspect this is due to the pregap issue.

Worse, when I looked further, the accuraterip database uses it's own CRC, not an md5sum, so I have to let it decode every flac file to generate a comparison. This makes it difficult to tie everything together.

What I was trying to do was simply take the md5sum of the wav (data chunk) embedded in the flac file and look up a comparison online. It's not proving that straightforward to integrate with the accuraterip way of doing things :frowning2:.

I'm probably going to give up on this but before I do, could anyone check whether they get the same IDs as below?

Dave Brubeck, Time In: http://www.accuraterip.com/accuraterip/4/2/e/dBAR-008-000b8e24-004d780d-5c08ee08.bin
KT Tunstall, Drastic Fantastic: http://www.accuraterip.com/accuraterip/3/6/7/dBAR-011-000f9763-008774ee-8f093c0b.bin

Cheers

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #5 of 6
More woe I'm afraid. I was happy for the moment to cross-reference flac and wav files from different computers. As far as I can make out, cdparanoia (which is what I've mostly used) is supposed to do a decent job but different drives won't necessarily give the same results. I think this means that the signal data should be the same but that drive-dependent blank offsets are in each track.

I could be on to a loser here, unless anyone knows any different.

Cheers.

Sep 22, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 6
Yes, I use AccurateRip.
Meaning that the software I use to rip audio cds compare the resulting files against checksums in the AccurateRip database.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back