Anyone upgrading to windows XP ?
Aug 30, 2001 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

Tides

On the lam from Mothra
Just wondering, if you already did, any impressions ?

Tides

Aug 30, 2001 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 29
I tried beta 2.

Typical Microsoft bloat but at least with the NT core it should not crash as much for home users. I can't comment on performance since with beta all that debug code was running in the background.

ME was a nightmare in terms of reliability (has to rank with the worst OS that MS has put out to date!) and I would not hesitate anyone with ME to upgrade, since if they had it preinstalled on their PCs they should have enough horsepower to run XP. (>=750mhz P3/AMD Duron and >=128 megs ram)

Built in burning support was interesting, but I still prefer a stand alone program (Nero rules!) The windows media player supports HDCD but I wasn't able to try it since I don't own any HDCDs.

I use 2K at home and I don't think that an upgrade to XP would be needed. (but I will get a free copy (XP home version) from MS for beta testing in October, so I'll install it on another PC here.

Aug 30, 2001 at 2:00 PM Post #3 of 29
No plans on doing so right now. I've got more than enough memory on my machine, but the cpu is a little on the slow side. In any event, I'm running a "relatively" stable install of Win98 and don't have a pressing need for XP.

Aug 30, 2001 at 2:48 PM Post #5 of 29
I used to have a dual boot Win2K/XP Beta. But XP was very buggy so I just went back to Win2K. As soon as I can get my hands on a good copy of XP I will load it back on. I have to start to become familiar with it because we have plans to roll it out to some clients next year.

Aug 30, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #6 of 29
THanks for the inputs.

I have the final ver here, but unsure if I should go ahead with it..

the new OS paranoid syndrome hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

I think I will install it on my laptop and see how that goes.. the thing with XP is I believe it needs 1.4 gigs of working space. and my entire laptop HD is only 4.5 gig~!

I was in a chat with about 40 hardcore OSwizers and the general take on the new XP is very good.

Tides

Aug 30, 2001 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by bootman
ME was a nightmare in terms of reliability (has to rank with the worst OS that MS has put out to date!) and I would not hesitate anyone with ME to upgrade, since if they had it preinstalled on their PCs they should have enough horsepower to run XP. (>=750mhz P3/AMD Duron and >=128 megs ram)

Interesting... I've had a dual boot Win98SE (OEM) / WinME system for about 10 months now (bought the WinME promotional update but kept Win98 installed just to be safe)... and it has to be said that I have NEVER (as yet / touch wood) had any problems / blue screens / crashes whilst using ME... completely faultless
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2001 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 29
Yeah, I am going to get it and upgrade my Win98 partition. I love Win2K. So stable. I have a triboot with 98(Just in case all else fails), 2K, and Linux. I have a PIII 800, 512 megs of RAM, GeForce2 GTS w/64 megs DDR SDRAM, and SBLIVE and Delta Dio. It also is going to be getting a new upgrade of the logitech cordless freedom optical keyboard and mouse set soon.
smily_headphones1.gif
I love my computer very much.

Aug 30, 2001 at 9:55 PM Post #11 of 29
sackley~

I have the Logitech cordless mouse and keyboard here. Let me just tell ya they KICK ASSSSSSSSS !

They are so comfortable to use and very accurate !

You will love it when you get it
smily_headphones1.gif
I consider this Logitech cordless set to be one of my best computer purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Tides

PS. when I do FPS games, I use regular mosue with cord tho
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 30, 2001 at 10:06 PM Post #12 of 29
My dad has a little wireless home network setup w/ some iMacs and an Airport. He also had a Logitech wireless mouse. So guess what happens? About every half-hour of trying to surf the internet and navigating w/ the mouse, the internet connection would die and he'd have to reset the Airport. You'd think Apple would have something on their site about that, but no... oh well, he eventually just got one of those no-button Apple mice, works pretty well.

Aug 31, 2001 at 12:32 AM Post #13 of 29
Okay, I have a Athalon @ 850mhz, 128meg and 98. It locks up or blue screens at least once an hour and I can't figure out why. I have uninstalled most of the software, including Norton Utilities and this thing still sucks. I am just smart enough about this stuff to know I'm a moron. The place that built it is happy to help me... for $75 an hour. Ah, the purpose of this rant- all computers suck and I wish I knew Linux. Oh ya,one good thing- Tides is right, the Logitech cordless stuff is great.

Thanks for letting me blow off some steam!

Aug 31, 2001 at 12:38 AM Post #14 of 29
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
My dad has a little wireless home network setup w/ some iMacs and an Airport. He also had a Logitech wireless mouse. So guess what happens? About every half-hour of trying to surf the internet and navigating w/ the mouse, the internet connection would die and he'd have to reset the Airport. You'd think Apple would have something on their site about that, but no... oh well, he eventually just got one of those no-button Apple mice, works pretty well.

Actually I would bet Logitech is the one who should do something about it... Apple airport follows the 802.11 standard (or whatever that number is) and if a mouse is screwing the connection up, it is the mouse's fault.

Then again, airport is able to screw up electronics on airplanes
rolleyes.gif

Aug 31, 2001 at 2:31 AM Post #15 of 29
It's so sad, I would've answered "hell no" to this question.

Then I thought - what's the point? Good games = Windows, Decent Suites = Windows, Easy take-apart-ability = PCs .... I would've been a Linux boy if I was just a TAD more on the geek side.....

Too bad.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back