anyone try to DIY an etymotic cable?
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
Is this possible? Everything sounds great out of these earphones but the microphonics are killing it for me...

Anyone just try to splice the connectors and make a new non microphonic cable? I'm pretty sure that splicing it won't make that much of a difference as people were doing that with the senn connectors for a long time until the actual DIY connectors came out.

anyways, thanks

I'm planning on just getting a UE replacement cable and using that as I love the UE cables...so flexible and non noise at all.

Dec 1, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 27
Check out this link. Xin (the Supermini guy) sold Etymotic replacement cables for a VERY short time. Don't bother asking him, as he won't build them anymore (too much work involved).

You can make your own ear connectors and shrinkwrap them to look decent and not stick out of your ear. It also lets you put the resistors closer to the ear and not have a giant plug at the base of the cable. As for cable selections, go with something thin and try to avoid silver-coated copper. APS seems to take thin high-grade copper, braid it, and terminate it.

Dec 1, 2008 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 27
Wouldn't it just be reusing the 2 prong connectors for the tips (or trying to buy some) and then building a cable with a couple of resistors to get the same DC impedance?

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #4 of 27
On the subject of Etymotics, i'm looking at re-wiring my ER6is as one of the cables is screwed up. Doesn't seem to hard, where can you buy replacement cables?

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #5 of 27
yes it would be but I am finding a hard time figuring out how to hold the pins in the right position. It would need some sort of a backing to hold them in place.

Dec 1, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #6 of 27
J.P.6

Recabling the ER-6i is not difficult if you are capable of basic SMD.
Get a UE or Westone cable to fix it with.

Fatman711,
Take measurements of the pins on your current cable, dimensions, etc. and I will try to help you put the solution together.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:02 PM Post #7 of 27
Related question: Does the er6i have small terminals inside the earpieces with a resistor that can be soldered to?

If so just about any cable would work, provided it's thin enough to get into the earpiece.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #8 of 27
any good pics of the er6i upgrade?

I just snagged a pair from amazon ($50) and if these are microphonic I will be upgrading mine, also
wink.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes it would be but I am finding a hard time figuring out how to hold the pins in the right position. It would need some sort of a backing to hold them in place.

A thread of yesteryear showed someone using a piece of perf-board 2holes wide (with edges... full holes...) and 3 or 4 holes long to hold the pins in the proper places. perhaps it was a website, I will scour my archives when I get home.

They wove the leads (spare resistor leads if I recall) in the holes and soldered wires on, with them sticking through the appropriate distance. I dont remember if their creation was removable and shrink-wrapped shut, or if they simply shrink-wrapped the WHOLE thing to the ER4 earpiece.

Dec 1, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 27
Dec 1, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #11 of 27
Yeah that will work but imo the UE cables are trash. They will never straighten out and are stiff. You probably have to heat them up to get them to relax.

I'd get the replacement Westone cable.

Dec 2, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #13 of 27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back