Anyone try these Audio-technica's?
Mar 30, 2010 at 4:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Subaru

New Head-Fier
The ATH-M50

Looking for something to upgrade I'm using my late father's Sony MDR-V4's and they are about as old as me.. while they are ok they don't really surround the ear too well.

my price point is around $120

The music I listen to is mostly electronic

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 17
FWIR they should do very well for you. Nice choice.

Mar 30, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #3 of 17
Since they were designed for professional monitoring and mixing, they will do great for your music tastes. Really awesome and accurate, and if you use a headamp they are much better.

Mar 30, 2010 at 5:40 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do a search, there are tons and tons of reviews/impressions and comparisons with the M50.

Sure...you better try them by yourself if possible. There are certain stores that allows headphone testing/listening.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
do a search, there are tons and tons of reviews/impressions and comparisons with the M50.

x1

I think they would be a good pair for you, but they are not the only one in this price range:
Denon D1001, SHR440 /840, SRH750DJ ,ATH ES7 and so on...

about the M50: - FOR ME (with Cowon S9 and EQ)- they are very comfy, but can get a bit hot after a while but nothing serious (most closed phones get hot after a while).
As for a monitoring headphone they have great details; really great bass (quality and also quantity) I think they are not overpowering; great highs and minds; I like the vocals on them too...

I know theres a lot of threads to read, but they will help (at least they helped for me)

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by attika89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

about the M50: - FOR ME (with Cowon S9 and EQ)- they are very comfy, but can get a bit hot after a while but nothing serious (most closed phones get hot after a while).
As for a monitoring headphone they have great details; really great bass (quality and also quantity) I think they are not overpowering; great highs and minds; I like the vocals on them too...

I know theres a lot of threads to read, but they will help (at least they helped for me)

Have you compared the M50's out of an ipod to cowon s9? Is it a big difference. I am looking to upgrade from my ipod to something like the s9.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #13 of 17
M50s are one of my fave headphones. Spent a long time with them. Like said they are great for electronica.

However these days I am finding I like the Shure SRH750 DJ more. Check these out if you can, they are also great.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdawg56kg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you compared the M50's out of an ipod to cowon s9? Is it a big difference. I am looking to upgrade from my ipod to something like the s9.

*HUGE* difference. But it's not the M50, the S9 sounds better than any iPod with any decent set of cans.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:48 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdawg56kg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This might sound strange, but I have no musical experiences with iPods
tongue.gif

But as I read through the threads on the SQ of them it seems like its true what Mochan said...
But its also true that the new generations like 3GS and such have pretty good SQ (or just better than the earlier gens I dont know)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back