Anyone try the Whoomp! ?
Jul 8, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #2 of 10
yeah, for me, they sucked. Totally ruin the PK3 SQ, but it was a very long time ago. I know the Comply folks think they work (and I do buy Comply foamies), but they are just another one of those gimmicks that look good on paper, but ... Worst thing? You can't use the foamie part of them if you don't like them as Bud converters, they are glued on too tightly.

On the other hand, if your dad is happy with iBuds, doubtful these could mess up the sound much more. So for $12, why not?

Jul 8, 2009 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, for me, they sucked. Totally ruin the PK3 SQ, but it has been a very long time ago. I know the Comply folks think they work (and I do buy Comply foamies), but they are just another one of those gimmicks that look good on paper, but ... Word case? You can't use the foamie part of them if you don't like them as Bud converters, they are glued on too tightly.

On the other hand, if your dad is happy with iBuds, doubtful these could mess up the sound much more. So for $12, why not?

That's what I was afraid of. In truth, he's not thrilled with them but does love the functionality (the iPhone controls). He's used to the UE SuperFi 3s I bought him a while back and I think he'll eventually regret using the stock buds.

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 10
I am using the Whoomp! with great success with my bluetooth headset (Blueant Z9i). The sound quality was not great to begin with (I don't use it for music, just phone conversations) and the volume was too low. The Whoomp! helped quite a bit with improving my ability to hear the person on the other side.

If your dad wants to maintain iPhone control - won't the ADDIEM's do it? ( I think they go for around $30 on eBay - just make sure they are not fake ones like these .

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #6 of 10
Excellent suggestion. ebay sellers with legit ADDIEMs are onedollar28 and 7Dime. I bought from both (have purchased 5 pair of those phones for friends, family, and one for myself).

Jul 8, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by os2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your dad wants to maintain iPhone control - won't the ADDIEM's do it? ( I think they go for around $30 on eBay - just make sure they are not fake ones like these .

I hadn't considered those. How are they?

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 10
The ADDIEM's can be found on ebay for $30 - $40. Just make sure you use a reliable seller (see above post from tstarn06 for example), since other head-fiers have been receiving fake ones. 7dime on ebay

Jul 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #9 of 10
There is an entire thread on them, being one of the most underrated IEMs for the money. I agree (so do many of those posting in the thread), others (not a large number) do not. I like them a lot, and they have the built-in mic, etc., for the iPhone. But make sure you check the buyer feedback. There are several sellers who have "used" (my guess is B box, aka returned) versions, and they are just like new, sans box, etc. Again, all 5 pair I have purchased as still going, and one went to my teenaged daughter. Again, much better way to help your dad. They are IEMs, so they need to be stuck in your ear, but so did the Whoomps.

Also, they can use either the stock tips or Comply T140s or T130s, I favor the latter, in large. And yes, 7Dime is one of them, cause I bought from his (though I see his price is at #39. They were cheaper last week).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back