Anyone try the HR Micro amp with the Desktop Power Supply?
Apr 7, 2006 at 3:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sjt78

100+ Head-Fier
I'm curious about this combination as I have a Micro amp with the desktop module. I am considering upgrading to a desktop amp in a few months and might buy the Desktip Power Supply first to ease the burden of buying the amp+power supply all at once. I can afford the DPS right now, but will it make a difference with the Micro amp? I know using a $300 power supply on a $300 portable amp seems crazy. Any suggestions? Thanks.
-Steve

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 7
It's not crazy! Yes I did try it, and did a comparison between the brick, batteries and DPS for the few days I had the micro. The simplest way to describe the sound is the battery sound with more air and headroom. Quality wise, it's basically similar to the batteries, however it's voltage is significantly higher (+-9 vs. +-15), giving a little more weight and authority, with stronger dynamics. I always felt that the battery sound was significantly better to my ears than the brick, and so ended up using batteries all the time, which was a bit of a pain. The DPS is even better than that, and you won't be swapping batteries all the time. If you know you are going to need it for another amp further down the line, just get it!

ps: unfortunately I have to remind you it's $400, not $300...

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 7
You are right on the price. I knew it was $400, but typed $300. It would be nice if it were $300. I called Headroom and unfortunately I must have gotten a sales person who is having an off-day. He didn't really explain well the difference between using the wall-wart and the DPS with the Micro. Anyway, I might try it as I can always return it if I don't notice a difference and would rather wait until I upgrade my amp. I'm not thinking of getting the HR Millett for my next amp and would use it as a pre-amp in my speaker system.

Apr 7, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 7
Well I can probably answer your questions if you have any other than what you already posted. Truth is, one's on dangerous ground once you start talking about the quality of power supplies, and for the sales reps it's somewhat difficult to sell their product, without over-selling it. How do you tell your customer that something is unquestionably better, but then that you might not notice the difference? The thing about the DPS is that it becomes of increasingly better VFM the more devices you have to connect to it. It's a much better upgrade for a micro stack for example than for just one of the micros, as you are still paying the same amount for an upgrade for 2 devices.

Apr 7, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
Truth is, one's on dangerous ground once you start talking about the quality of power supplies, and for the sales reps it's somewhat difficult to sell their product, without over-selling it.

And generally speaking, I doubt if they try selling a $400 power supply for a $300 amp so he might not have tried the system. In your case it makes sense but I would guess there are more effective ways to spend the money if you weren't planning on an upgrade.

Apr 7, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #7 of 7
I totally understand that the sales rep. probably hasn't tried this combination of amp+power supply. He could have explained how the DPS enhances the Desktop amps and therefore how it would help the Micro. I don't really mean to be negative towards HR, as I like their products and the sales rep did give me a satisfactory response. I think I'll get the power supply so then I can talk myself into buying the HR Millet in a few months
icon10.gif
The HR Millett will look *cheap* when I don't have to buy the power supply
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back