Anyone try Sound-Squared earbuds sold on Amazon
Mar 20, 2009 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

eclectic

100+ Head-Fier
They're all rated so highly and all around $20. How bad can they be? Dare I ask...

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 6
41oeX8VSfDL._SS500_.jpg

Looks suspiciously like Sony's EX85...

Does anybody know if Sony is OEMing theirs?

Mar 20, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[IMG GONE]

Looks suspiciously like Sony's EX85...

Does anybody know if Sony is OEMing theirs?

they do, but a lot tackier.
though, $20 is a good price....

but skullcandy is rated great at $20 too, and they suck.

Mar 20, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #4 of 6
that's gotta be the EX85's. If not, somebody is seriously ripping off Sony's design, because it looks exactly the same. Everything down to the gold plated-green line plug. If they are re-branded 85's, $20 is a good price for them.

Nov 16, 2011 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 6
Bumping this to see if anyone's heard any of these yet; a lot of their designs look familiar. The "Star" looks like a Xears XE200Pro or C100iP, maybe they get their stuff made by the same OEM?

Star - http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sound2-headphone-earbuds-Earphone/dp/B003O6THB0/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t
Elite - http://www.amazon.com/Two-tone-Sound2-Headphone-Earbuds-Earphone/dp/B000Z9R14O/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
Spirit - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DPFK26/ref=sc_pgp__m_A10S6OB23UD1NX_11?ie=UTF8&m=A10S6OB23UD1NX&n=&s=&v=glance

There are some others if you browse Earphones Plus' listings, including a Meelec CX21 look-alike

edit - Guess ill have to find out how they sound myself, just put an order down on the Spirit
biggrin.gif

edit 11/20 - Got the package in, and to my disappointment, I received the wrong iems D:. I got the Sport iems rather than the Spirit, honest mistake from Earphones Plus and theyve decided to replace it for me free of charge+paid postage. I did take the Sports out to try them out and I didnt like the sound....they sound like.....bass. Just...bass. The bass is flabby and fartlike and everything past the midbass sounds muffled. On the bright side the build quality is decent. Metal housings, y-splitter, plug, lots of driver flex when inserting though, and the cable feels rubbery and cheapo. Hopefully the Spirit fair abit better

edit 11/23, 12/16 - Got the Spirit in today and thankfully they sound better than the Sports =). Bassy like the Sports, and it does bleed quite abit in to the mids. They sound pretty nice with the midbass bloat eq'd down abit. Treble doesnt sound nearly as laid back but it isnt emphasized either. Build quality is like the Sports. Metal housing, plug, y-splitter, cheap rubbery cable, virtually no driver flex though

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #6 of 6
Just thought id bump this thread again and update with some of my experiences....

Thus far ive tried the Sport, Spirit, Elite, and Star, and in order from least to most offensive to the ears (imo) it goes: Star > Spirit > Elite > Sport. I received the Stars yesterday and theyre actually a pretty satisfying listen. Like the other Sound-Squared iems theyre very bass-heavy but it isnt as intrusive into the mids as the others' bass, so they dont sound as overwhelmingly warm. Unlike the other three the treble doesnt sound as rolled off and it's abit emphasized. It can get harsh on some of my worst tracks but for the most part I dont feel the treble is over emphasized, and I dont notice sibilance a whole lot when listening to them. Back to the bass, its pretty aggressive and punchy, not sloppy sounding and rounded off like the other three. You can actually tune the bass abit because the Stars are vented with a mesh guard in the back of the housing. When completely covered the bass loses a lot of its impact; I like the vents covered about halfway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back