anyone try a cd mat in a pcdp?
Oct 5, 2002 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mikey

Head-Fier
has anyone here ever try a cd mat like the statmat, cd blacklight or any of the other mats?? is there any improvement?
cheers

Oct 5, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 6
CD Blacklight- Still got it around here somewhere. It was hard to tell if it made any improvement, because all the players I have had, would not work with it in place. The mat has to be perfectly flat and your player has to tolerate the extra weight and thickness mechanically. I decided it was a pain in the ass.

Oct 5, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 6
I've got one lying about that I used in my old CD player. It made a big difference in it so now you've made me curious to try it on the D25S. I'll give it a whirl when I get a chance and let you know the outcome.

Oct 6, 2002 at 8:37 AM Post #5 of 6
i fiddled with some of the mats i have today - my small stash of mats consists of - the cd blacklight, the cd statmat and a rather obscure mat that audio technica made years ago and which isnt that hot commercially as the others. first , the cd blacklight does not fit into the cd spindle of my ct570 -to do so would require the mat to be cut so as to widen the centre hole - but i wasnt about to mutilate it.

cd statmat --hmm - interesting in that it seemed to somehow give recordings more depth - but it was a subtle improvement - what was obvious was the extension in the highs - some may perceive this to be 'bright' but entertaining nonetheless.

audio technica cd stabilizer - the model number for this is AT 674 this is a stiff graphite mat - it sat nicely on the cd - the result was a deeper bass - not just deeper but tighter as well - overall quite enjoyable but what disconcerted me was a slight raspy noise when the cd came to an end - which wasnt present without the mat -could be the rotation of the mat over the cd - which could scratch the cd's label side which may render the cd useless.

just thinking - a diy cork mat? something to work on next i suppose.

cheers

Oct 6, 2002 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Well I tried the mat I have here with the D25S with no luck. Lights came on then it just shut down. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back