Anyone tried the Udu silkscreen machine?
Apr 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #3 of 16
I am afraid to buy it because it was on an informercial, but I couldn't help but think it could make a professional looking amp out of a PAR Metals enclosure. I think it was $30 on the informercial.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #4 of 16
There are also many ways to make high quality stickers also using a home PC and printer. I think the silk screen would look better but sticker have a place also.

If I am doing my math right, that silk screen kit would cost you almost $400. If it is worth it to you then sure, it is not that much and could give your build an extra bit of class.

$33 for 30 day trial + $25 S+H, if you want to keep it then 6 more payments of $57.

You could get alot of work done with it in 30 days though!

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am afraid to buy it because it was on an informercial, but I couldn't help but think it could make a professional looking amp out of a PAR Metals enclosure. I think it was $30 on the informercial.

$30 is a 30 day trial. If you don't return it they charge your credit card 7 payments of $59. The probably said that once real fast and quiet on the infomercial
mad.gif
I don't blame you for not trusting something on an infomercial. It has mixed reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Provo-Craft-No...1424890&sr=8-2

Edit: It's actually not cheaper. You can buy the same package with all the extras, cards, t-shirt, etc, on Amazon for the same price. It just that you can buy it without all of the supposedly free stuff for $150 less

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are also many ways to make high quality stickers also using a home PC and printer. I think the silk screen would look better but sticker have a place also.

If I am doing my math right, that silk screen kit would cost you almost $400. If it is worth it to you then sure, it is not that much and could give your build an extra bit of class.

$33 for 30 day trial + $25 S+H, if you want to keep it then 6 more payments of $57.

You could get alot of work done with it in 30 days though!

Oh crap I didn't catch that, glad I posted, I thought it was only $30 bucks! Where do you find these printer stickers?

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 16
Yeah, I would be a bit untrusting also. It may be OK if you had a few buddies to invest on it also. You also have to factor in the consumables, how does it work and what about replacments for everything?

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Oh crap I didn't catch that, glad I posted, I thought it was only $30 bucks! Where do you find these printer stickers?

You can buy sheets of blank sticker material. I have seen them but I did not look into it further. It would be nice if you could get clear material and run through your printer. I will have a look and post back. Here is somethign that I woudl consider for building project enclosures, Rub on decals or water transfer stickers like you use for model cars.-> LINK I just had a quick look but I think you can find a cost effective way to get what you need with a bit of research.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I would be a bit untrusting also. It may be OK if you had a few buddies to invest on it also. You also have to factor in the consumables, how does it work and what about replacments for everything?

All in all a bad idea for a DIYer, maybe a small commercial amp builder. I'm just tired of my plain Par-Metals amps, they all look the same. FPE is so expensive to me it kills the cost advantage of DIY.

Apr 16, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

All in all a bad idea for a DIYer, maybe a small commercial amp builder. I'm just tired of my plain Par-Metals amps, they all look the same. FPE is so expensive to me it kills the cost advantage of DIY.

Laser engraving works well on Par-Metal enclosures (clear anodized), the alo goes a white colour, although it can be hard to see depending on the lighting.
I’ve been told you can pass the laser over several times for even more definition. It’s cheap too, well that is compared to engraving
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Point being there are many different ways to dress up normal "project box" enclosures to make them look more like a professional product. Post your impressions if you try out some of these suggestions.

Apr 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 16
It sounds like you can set up a DIY silk screen setup pretty cheap from what I found.

I found this on a quick search

Edited:
I wonder if silk screening could be used to apply the etch resist for acid etching aluminum? Some of the other sites I found said that silk screening aluminum could be hard. I recall there was a batch of RSA amps where all the lettering rubbed off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back