Anyone tried the Schiit Lyr with the Thunderpants?
Nov 20, 2011 at 10:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, 

Haven't been around in ages. Recognise a few familiar usernames here and there, but it's been some time. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've decided to resurrect my headphone fetish with a pair of Thunderpants. Buying blind FTW!!

Am considering pairing this with a Lyr - any comments on how this combination sounds?

Cheers,
A

Nov 20, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 8
The Lyr is the best new amp under $300, welcome back too! Id do a quick search on Google with Thunderpants and Lyr and you'll find a ton of answers. Good luck, and you'll be happy with whichever amp you choose.

mmayer167- "I've got the Lyr :)  And soon adding to the family, a Bifrost. The lyr drives my TP the best of any amp i've owned (probably cuz its the best amp ive owned)  but i havent heard a CTH. The lyr with the TP is definitely not dark (well depending on tube), and i find it transparent, which gets rid of a bit of the stuffiness ive experienced with the tp before. The lyr is not dark with the TP but really balanced i feel while keeping that thunderpant bass response :)  Depending on the tube the detail can be insane! i feel it will be even more-so when the bifrost gets here :)   I think i would call the lyr tp combo just clean meaty sound.

I dont think you could go wrong with a lyr since its such a great built amp with great service and warranty...  not a fanboy here, so do your research! the lyr might not be your answer but it is good."

Nov 21, 2011 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 8
hehe I got quoted... Update:  Bifrost Lyr is a deadly combo, I am currently thunderpantless but running some different modded pairs of t50. This combo is very good and the t50 driver synergizes well with the lyr. You might want to consider a objective 2 amp which is considerably cheaper and drives the t50 to 90 percent of what the lyr can. If i were you, id swing an O2 and if you like what your hearing maybe spring for the lyr, unless you are just head over heels for the Schiit design :wink: 

M

edit:  pic for u 

Nov 21, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 8
I am seriously considering a lyr to compliment my pure i20, birfrost and lcd-2's while I wait for my glorious Stacker II to be completed.

Nov 21, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 8
lcd2rv2 on a lyr plus bifrost is amazing. I brought my lyr/bifrost to a friends house this weekend who has the lcd2 rev 2. It was seriously good, definitely best ive heard in my head-fi life. IMO you couldnt go wrong with that setup.  I would get the lcd2 if I hadnt just sunk all my money into my source :) but i think a good source is better than an upgraded messenger on a ok source so im happy :) 

M

Users who are viewing this thread

Back