Anyone tried surplus isolation transformers such as Xentek or Topaz?
Sep 11, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #16 of 23
A little late to the party, but hopefully relevant. Many, many years ago I started using the Topaz Isolation devices. I was using these in our computer audio lab at a large chip manufacturer (the big one). We had put together a rather large Audio Lab for CD authoring, testing sound cards for PCs, complete with the AP audio analyzer, etc. The effect of the isolation transformer was unquestionable on the effects of audio. Measuring the THD of the incoming power showed significant improvement. The noise floor was significantly improved as well.

I currently use two Topaz isolation transformers in series.

I've never looked back, and ultimately went balanced.

Balanced Power Technologies - Home
Equi=Tech Corporation Home Page

EDIT: I have two Topaz isolation transformers (a 1.8KVA and a 1.1KVA) in series on my simpleton AV system, where the effect on the picture is plainly evident.

EDIT: My review of Donald's DNA Sonett probably reflects the effect of the use of the BPT. I wouldn't use it without it!

Sep 12, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #17 of 23
How close or different is the performance of these isolation transformers from what the Monarchy Audio AC Regenerator does (only 100 watts). Thanks.

p6215603_std.jpg

p6215628_std.jpg

Monarchy Audio

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:02 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1127 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is some news. Since getting the Topaz Isolation Transformer, I have replaced that with some K Works products. A review is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/re...tation-444951/

Have you tried them together? While some of the manufacturers don't recommend anything but their own, experimenting often finds a great relationship. For instance, I have the BPT plus the Richard Gray devices. The overall gain is anything but subtle. Also, you might find even greater improvements going to a balanced isolation transformer, something not available with the Topaz.

BTW, I think any isolation transformer is a good entry point into power conditioning. Some of these are inexpensive, but the results are positively audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back