anyone tried Mapleshade’s DEEP-CLEANING SYSTEM?
Aug 8, 2008 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Static isn't a problem with playback of CDs. Records can be washed with distilled water and microfiber cloths just as well as with fancy steamers. If you enjoy the fetishistic rite of zapping and steaming, then I suppose these are fine products. But the won't improve the sound any more than normal care will.

See ya
Steve

Aug 8, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I had one of those once. It was a nice brush, but my record mat is anti stat, so it didn't make any difference. A nice brush for everyday use is a good investment. Just don't use it on dirty records straight from the thrift store. Wash them first.

See ya
Steve

Aug 9, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #5 of 9
Steve, just run me through your wet cleaning procedure for LPs, please. I've always steered clear of w/c, but want to finally give it a go.

Distilled water: check. Microfibre cloth: check. Use cloth with rotary motion under running tepid water & airdry I'd guess?

Thanks.

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Fill two bowls... one with white vinegar and the other with distilled water.

Take four clean new sponges (or microfiber cloths). Use one to wipe the vinegar onto the playing surface in the direction of the grooves. The dirt will lift right out onto the sponge.

Use a clean sponge to remove all the vinegar and wring it out in the sink.

Do the same again with new sponges and distilled water.

Wipe the record dry in the direction of the grooves with a clean soft terry towel. Let the record air dry overnight before playing.

Put it into a fresh paper sleeve, not the same old dirty one that came with the record.

Hope this helps
Steve

Aug 9, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
gentle washing didnt work. so i guess it wasnt just a dirty record. ill go get an anti static spray today and go for a rematch.

I bet two bits it's groove wear or a bad pressing and nothing will help.

See ya
Steve

Aug 9, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #9 of 9
thanks. ill report back within 48hrs
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back