anyone tried flats on SR60's? + Alessandro questions..
Dec 3, 2004 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
I was wondering, since everyone says that flats make Grados sound so much better, and the SR60's are a tremendous value for the money, is there anyone who has tried a pair of SR60's with flats on them? I'm thinking of doing so, and maybe putting the Senn HD580 headband pad on them as well, for an interesting, comfortable, yet relatively inexpensive pair of cans. I would do so with the SR80's, but figured things might sound warmer with the SR60's.

I suppose I could get MS-1's, but they would still have the comfy pads on them. Do people who get the Alessandro's keep the comfy pads on them, or switch to flats? I'm wondering if the comfy pads are what makes the MS-1's sound much less treble-y than the SR80's and SR125's.

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #2 of 5
The MS-1 does indeed improve with flats over comfies. However, I have never tried the same with SR-60s. Just from the search engine i've found people saying the SR60 doesn't really improve much from the stock comfies to justify the price of flat pads.

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:49 PM Post #3 of 5
i've found the bass for the sr60 to be too boomy when i used vwap/senn414 pads. i'm assuming that the sound would be very similar to flat pads since it places the drivers closer to your ear. i've since gone back to using the comfies and i'm sure that many people would agree with me that the comfies are the way to go with the sr60.

as for the ms-1, i preferred the vwap/senn414 sound compared to the comfies but i also thought the comfies sounded great and were so comfortable. with a hole cut in the comfies, the slight roll off in the highs was improved. the vwap/senn pads eventually won over the comfies since they gave bass response.

for the price, the sr60 are great if you get them used for around $45 but new with flat pads you might as well spend the extra bit of money and go for the ms-1. smoother overall sound, deeper bass and less grainy highs. i really regret selling my ms-1 now and just using the sr60's to fill in until i get my hands on another pair of ms-1.

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #4 of 5
I wonder if someone has a pair of bowl pads that they aren't using... might be interesting to try some bowl pads on the SR60's. I owned the SR60's before, as well as the SR80's, and preferred the fit of the bowls to the comfy's-- weird, I know, but the comfys never felt like they stayed in place-- the bowls cupped around my ear better.

Anyone have a pair of bowl pads in a drawer that they aren't using, and would like to donate to a worthy cause?
plainface.gif

Dec 3, 2004 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 5
I've tried comfies, bowls, and flats on my SR-60's, and actually find that I like the flats best on them. For me, the bass was stronger (but not boomy) and the highs seemed more detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back