Anyone tried Digital Designs "EarbuDDs"?
Apr 21, 2009 at 5:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I saw their advertising here on the sidebar of a screen, and clicked out of curiosity. The company (from my home-town, Oklahoma City, OK) makes some higher end studio and car audio monitors, and stuff, and decided to build their own IEM, the DD-DXB01. Here's the link for it.

Digital Designs DD-DXB01

They sell for $59 right there on their website. Wonder how these compare with the NE-7M, which I happen to like very much for its crispness.

Anybody heard of or tried these???

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 16
With all those vents I wonder how much sound gets leaked in and out :O

Tunable bass system looks quite cool, but instead of tape, they should have some kind of rotary wheels with holes. The more you rotate the wheel, the more opened/closed the holes become.

Not willing to get rid of 59$ that much tho, especially since I am happy with the ADDIEM but still curious how they would compare, sound/value wise!

Apr 21, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #3 of 16
Wow, I'd feel sorry for anyone who got suckered in to this product. Using adhesive tape sounds almost DIY-ish, let alone paying $59 for it.

Apr 21, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #4 of 16
Indeed, paying $59 to DIY the bass to your preference. That's a joke.

Apr 21, 2009 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 16
But what happens if they sound great despite the tape gimmick?

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #6 of 16
Squire, I like your idea that they should have added a rotating cover for the ports to adjust.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed, paying $59 to DIY the bass to your preference. That's a joke.

Then I'll start doubt everything I thought I knew about IEMs, LOL.

Apr 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 16
Anyone think their "DD" logo resembles that of Daredevil (comic book character)?

May 6, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 16
The only kind of double D's I want are... I shouldn't say.
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only kind of double D's I want are... I shouldn't say.
biggrin.gif

Dunkin' Donuts?
wink.gif

May 7, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #13 of 16
If I was in the market for some IEMs, I would give these a try because I am a fan of DD. Doesn't seem like the tape would be visible, but it is kind of lame.

Alas, I am not looking for IEMs so I won't be buying them, haha.

May 7, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 16
Not buying them because I don't need them, but I am curious (always). Sound interesting. I just can't spend the cash right now, as I am waiting on a buyer for my IE7s. Maybe later. I love finding below $100 bargain phones (PFEs, ADDIEMS, PK3s, etc.).

May 7, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squirsier /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dunkin' Donuts?
wink.gif

Of course! What else?
tongue.gif

Anyways, few things that I'm thinking as I'm looking at the pictures:

1) We haven't had a port tuning IEM yet that hasn't broken down/fallen apart on us (SA6, PFE)... will this avoid that fate? Edit: Oh, it uses TAPE? For real? Haha. That'd be like the Sony EX series mods.

2) They don't seem like they will seal overly well. They look to be of a very shallow insert variety.

3) Can't say they look overly comfortable. Don't look over the ear friendly either.

But who knows, Phonaks were a diamond in the rough. Perhaps these are surprisingly good as well. Will look forward to hearing comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back