anyone tested the ATH-CK9 IE/Canal´s ?
May 16, 2007 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Aevum

Headphoneus Supremus
hi,

i was going over the stock at audio cubes and i saw the ATH-CK9 In ears, i was wondering if anyone checked them out,

í´ve heard good things about the CK7 in the forums, but these look more shure style,

anyone has any input on them ?

May 16, 2007 at 1:07 PM Post #2 of 8
I own them. Don't waste your time, the CK7 still sounds better. The CK9s have that poorly extended "armature" sound just like UM1s do.

May 16, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by tman1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The CK7s are not armature? (not that I am even sure what effect that would have on the sound signature)

Nope, they have dynamic drivers. Hi-quality dynamic drivers, actually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and how do the CK7 handle themselfs ? worthy upgrade from a pair of CX300 ?

I think so. There's a HUGE difference in terms of detail and clarity. But you may not like them unequalized.

May 17, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #6 of 8
Hold it. ck9 is nothing like um1 or ck7. ck7 have ety sound sig while ck9 have Shure sound sig. CK9 best Shure E3 is almost all area. only that it not as detailed as E4.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 8
i haven't owned the cx300s or the ck7s for a while, and i recently picked up the ck9s, but have only listened to 'em briefly so i won't make definitive pronouncements, but as far as i can recall i generally preferred the cx300s to the ck7s. the former tended to have more pronounced bass and the latter could be a little thin sounding at times, nad was perhaps best suited for female vocals. the ck9, like every AT that i've heard, isn't entirely neutral but may be more even than the ck7s.

Jul 29, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #8 of 8
Recently I was looking for a set of in-ear buds after leaving my last Ety' ERP 4's in an airplane seatback after flying MIA-LGA-Mexico the same day. This is not the first time I've left audio stuff after landing groggily in some distant place, so this time around I decided to look for value: a great sounding set of buds at substantially less than I paid for the Etys (when I bought them they were $250).

I was intrigued by the AT ck9's when I saw them discounted from $299 to $144 since they don't get much coverage, and they are part of AT's "Import Line". I took the plunge a & have to say that for $144 I am very pleased with these buds.

I have been using them with my Supreme Headroom amp, and directly with my Zune and my laptop's soundcard output. My initial impression was that they were very bright, and the bass was weak. After playing around with the silicone buds and getting the fitment just right, the bass improved substantially, but is still less pronounced than ideal.

The sound is airy, clear, tight, and bright, with a bias toward high-mid and high frequencies. They are comfortable (I've had them on for the past few hours as I type now) and the sound is not tiring. These buds ocassionally highlight nuances I'd previously overlooked on tracks I've heard many times which makes them engaging. They are as good as or better than any earbud out there for under $145. However at $299 they would have been overpriced. Overall I'm pleased...these will serve me well for portable listening as long as I don't overlook them at the bottom of a seatback pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back