anyone talking about Rio Karma???
May 7, 2006 at 10:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

laohuchirenle

New Head-Fier
i heard it is of high sound quality among mp3 players
can any karma user tell me what level of good sound it can reach?
can it compare with hi-md nh1 or discman ct570??
what if it is compared with creative zen xtra?
or u can compare it to any dap u r familiar with
plz just focus on the sound quality

May 7, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 9
There is less discussion of the Karma now that Rio is no longer in business.

I cannot cite technical numbers, and I've never owned a mini-disc player of any kind, but in terms of sound quality, the Karma has a healthy amplifier for a portable player -- all of its features were particularly good for 2003 technology (or for 2006 technology, in some cases), and it's the features that people especially praise. Gapless, cross-fading, a good DJ function, etc. Of course, there's the early hard drive lockup problems, too, the source of countless debates ...

I love my Karma, but in terms of just sound quality, I'm sure by now it has its equals. Overall, it's a unique player that sounds quite good.

May 7, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #3 of 9
I just bought a couple of players..iaudio M3 units relying on reviews only...on ebay that looked slicker, had a remote, and played .flac files and sold my last working Karma while overseas.

I got the iaudio units and found the sound to be muddy and weak comparatively, not gapless, and with a weird interface on the remote. I am using very efficient KSC-75's too!

I am having to rebuy used Karmas and deal with the clunky look, no remote and touchy drives in favor of sound quality. Function over form guys!

The slick looking Iaudio units are going on ebay at a probable loss.

Until someone comes out with gapless flac with a good amp and a decent remote I will have to deal with used Karmas. Another option will be those things I want and using CF or other chip based removeable memory.

The difference between the two units sound wise is incredible IMO.

Will rockbox mounted on something or other give good gapless output, equalization, and a decent remote?

Larry

May 7, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
There is less discussion of the Karma now that Rio is no longer in business.

And a lot of us are waiting for the new Rio-tech Sigmatel-branded players to come out. There's a lot of promise in those players from what I've heard, but oh-so little information.

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2813

May 7, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oddball
And a lot of us are waiting for the new Rio-tech Sigmatel-branded players to come out. There's a lot of promise in those players from what I've heard, but oh-so little information.

http://www.dapreview.net/comment.php?comment.news.2813

I didn't know they were still going forward with the Rio players. Seems like such a long time ago without word from these guys I thought it had turned into vaporware.
frown.gif

May 7, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by YamiTenshi
I didn't know they were still going forward with the Rio players. Seems like such a long time ago without word from these guys I thought it had turned into vaporware.
frown.gif

I think it's vaporware. The problem with Rio is they tried to touch too many markets with too poor of a product (Nitrus with dead HDDs and Carbons with a range of problems). They should have sticked to large HDD and flash.

May 7, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 9
It might be vaporware, but I certainly hope not. Sigmatel must've bought out Rio's mp3 technology for a reason, right? If they're just going to sit on this, I'll be one disappointed head-fier.

May 9, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by laohuchirenle
i heard it is of high sound quality among mp3 players
can any karma user tell me what level of good sound it can reach?
can it compare with hi-md nh1 or discman ct570??
what if it is compared with creative zen xtra?
or u can compare it to any dap u r familiar with
plz just focus on the sound quality

there's some review around , there's one thread impression i did when i got the Karma.

The facts are : for sound quality it was the very best when it came out ; this is not the most detailed mp3 player around , and shows a lil bit of harshness in the mids ( but I dubt any ears will hear or pick it up in the rest .. ) . There are not other relevant flaws , which says the sound is not that coloured , not boomy bass or picky highs , quite " neutral " .

The ct570 ( or 470 ) has a more gentle mids ( and more upfront too ! ) presentation , less bass capabilities , bit more sparkle on highs . The ct470 line out is still my reference for quality cd reproduction on portable .

Other then this , the Karma has nicely good equalizing capabilities and manners so that the sound can be nicely tweaked , and with good results , to quite whatever the hedaphones you want to plug , or to a color you might want to reach , and the Eq. doesn't distort the sound .

As for today , if you want a killer or ultimate portable dap source ( soundquality wise ) , what can I can say is that my imod is it . I use my imod along with my other sources , at the moment I'm "testing" 2 Meridians and 1 Wadia , and the imod stands still , nicely , with them .

hope that help

May 9, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
there's some review around , there's one thread impression i did when i got the Karma.The facts are : for sound quality it was the very best when it came out ; this is not the most detailed mp3 player around , and shows a lil bit of harshness in the mids ( but I dubt any ears will hear or pick it up in the rest .. ) . There are not other relevant flaws , which says the sound is not that coloured , not boomy bass or picky highs , quite " neutral " .The ct570 ( or 470 ) has a more gentle mids ( and more upfront too ! ) presentation , less bass capabilities , bit more sparkle on highs . The ct470 line out is still my reference for quality cd reproduction on portable .Other then this , the Karma has nicely good equalizing capabilities and manners so that the sound can be nicely tweaked , and with good results , to quite whatever the hedaphones you want to plug , or to a color you might want to reach , and the Eq. doesn't distort the sound . As for today , if you want a killer or ultimate portable dap source ( soundquality wise ) , what can I can say is that my imod is it . I use my imod along with my other sources , at the moment I'm "testing" 2 Meridians and 1 Wadia , and the imod stands still , nicely , with them .hope that help

forgive my ignorance,what is an imod???
mp3 player?????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back