Anyone suggest a good way to rip vinyl into digital?
Sep 28, 2007 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
I've got a stack of vinyl I would like to rip into digital and then compress into lossless FLAC.

Can anyone give any suggestions on what equipment they would recommend? Also ADC suggestions would be good.

Sep 28, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got a stack of vinyl I would like to rip into digital and then compress into lossless FLAC.

Can anyone give any suggestions on what equipment they would recommend? Also ADC suggestions would be good.

Any phono preamp would give you a level good wnough to connect to a line input of a computer sound card, which means you can sample it to a WAV file.
That's the easy part. I find the real challenge in "cleaning up" the ticks and pops. Hiss is also an issue and there are software filters fo that, but I'd consider that a secondary problem. Ticks and pops require a slow process of "patching" them almost one by one, to get any satisfactory results. I haven't tried a software tool for this, because there are so many negative comments about these. Perhaps something has improved in the last few years and people can recommend a cure for these "nasties"...

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 16
You could try the Waves Restoration Bundle in a suitable audio editor like Wavelab. This includes several plug-ins to remove clicks, pops, and other anomolies. It is, however, a very expensive solution; approx $1200 USD for the bundle alone. But Waves are truly professional level audio software.

Sep 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

I've got a stack of vinyl I would like to rip into digital....

I haven't a clue. However, when you're done ripping- send me a PM for the leftover vinyl.
biggrin.gif

Sep 28, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

I use a TC-760 phono pre-amp for the analogue side of things. It has a variable output control,which is very handy, and is bothe mM and MC. Phonopreamp in the US or Home hifi in the UK sell them. Phonopreamp is a bit more expensive though. For software I use Cool edit Pro. It's now called Audition,after having been bought by Adobe. Click and pops are a pain in the neck. I edit mine on an individual basis. But get an anti-static gun such as the Milly Zerostat and you'll be surprised how much of the clicks and pops are static noises. Sound cards with a line input already have a ADC built in, so go for a good card if you haven't got one already. I have used the Go Live! card
with excellent results. The one I had even had an optical socket. I now use a ADC made by Shinkin in Taiwan and bought at Maplin in the UK.
I use a USB to Toslinbk from Shinkin with my TC-7510 as well. I even use the TC-760 to the ADC into my TC-7510 and then through my headphones. It's amazing how much more detail I get from this set up compared to plugging in the TT into the phono input on my pre-amp.

Sep 29, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by jack1960 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could try the Waves Restoration Bundle in a suitable audio editor like Wavelab. This includes several plug-ins to remove clicks, pops, and other anomolies.

How well does it work on clicks an pops compared to patching them one by one? My little experience (with a much cheaper software) was not that great.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ori /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How well does it work on clicks an pops compared to patching them one by one? My little experience (with a much cheaper software) was not that great.

I have spent lots of money on tables, cartridges, and Phono stages just so I can hear the clicks and pops in their full glory.I like the music too of course.

Sep 29, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #10 of 16
So in other words you want in your digital copy, all the anomalies and detriments of the vinyl that everybody wants to get rid off, surface noise, crosstalk, wow an flutter, clicks, pops, etc, etc, etc...why not getting the CD instead, maybe the production process will not be the best and the sound quality will not be the best but will sound a lot cleaner, and the result will be better...
confused.gif

Sep 29, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So in other words you want in your digital copy, all the anomalies and detriments of the vinyl that everybody wants to get rid off, surface noise, crosstalk, wow an flutter, clicks, pops, etc, etc, etc...why not getting the CD instead, maybe the production process will not be the best and the sound quality will not be the best but will sound a lot cleaner, and the result will be better...
confused.gif

I think you are catching on Sovkiller.Vinyl isn't perfect but is well worth putting up with the minor flaws to gain the increased fidelity that is not available in any digital format.I don't bother with converting vinyl to digital on my computer myself.I just play vinyl on a turntable and enjoy it for what it is.

Sep 30, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #13 of 16
i record from a Michell turntable ==> phono stage ==> emu 0404 using soundforge then zoom in and remove any large clicks as i find click remover software such as "clean" tends to reduce the trebble detail.

Oct 1, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #14 of 16
I use a Sony RCD-W100 CD recorder with Super Bit Mapping processor (cost approx £200 in UK). Record to CD-RW then rip to PC. Very pleased with the results and straightforward to use.

I have a record cleaning machine so surface noise isn't a great worry.

Oct 3, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ssportclay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Ripper would be the ultimate way to transfer vinyl to a computer short of buying a very expensive tube Phono stage.It will also make a great stand alone Phono stage for any vinyl setup.

It seems to be let down by it's resolution and sample rate limitations. I wouldn't want to archive a quality vinyl recording at anything less than 24-96, but that ripper is only 16-48 at best according to it's specifications.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back