Anyone Suffering From Tinnitus?
Aug 4, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #16 of 27
^ literal ear bleeding?  You're giving me nightmares.  
frown.gif

I already freak out if I even get a normal ear infection.

I'd say don't worry about it. I was a special case. I was born with not so great ears. I actually had the drainage (tympanostomy)
tubes once before when I was 2 years old. Then again when I was 12. 

Seriously though, those ear infections were some of the most painful experiences in my life. I am SO glad they are over.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #17 of 27
I have it in my left ear due to high blood pressure. It's a pulse ring and very annoying.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #18 of 27
I have a feeling I'm headed towards this later in life. I had constant ear infections until I had tubes put in my ears for drainage at age three. I'll occasionally get a ringing in an ear(most of the time left), for a couple seconds every few weeks. Could this be a sign that I will likely have tinnitus later in life(I'm 19 now)?

Aug 4, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #19 of 27
18, and i've had tinnitus as long as I can remember honestly, might be TMJ, or might be because i have really crappy sinuses. It only bothers me with IEM's because that seems to magnify it. I can hear it when I turn off my car and sit for a minute before getting out, in the bathroom if the water's not running, or lying in bed. Even moderate noise levels seem to agitate it. still waiting for an appointment with an audiologist. I think the ringing is in the 2.5khz range, because listening to a 2.5khz sine wave I hear a "beat" pulse like 2 guitar strings playing a slightly different note. and partially canceling/reenforcing eachother. It's kind of maddening not remembering what silence is like, but it's not really too big of a deal.

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:
18, and i've had tinnitus as long as I can remember honestly, might be TMJ, or might be because i have really crappy sinuses. It only bothers me with IEM's because that seems to magnify it. I can hear it when I turn off my car and sit for a minute before getting out, in the bathroom if the water's not running, or lying in bed. Even moderate noise levels seem to agitate it. still waiting for an appointment with an audiologist. I think the ringing is in the 2.5khz range, because listening to a 2.5khz sine wave I hear a "beat" pulse like 2 guitar strings playing a slightly different note. and partially canceling/reenforcing eachother. It's kind of maddening not remembering what silence is like, but it's not really too big of a deal.

2.5Khz? Interesting. See, In my expiriments the ringing is between the 10-13Khz range. I can definitely see how that could be lower though.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #21 of 27

Quote:
2.5Khz? Interesting. See, In my expiriments the ringing is between the 10-13Khz range. I can definitely see how that could be lower though.

A couple of years ago I had tinnitus that was somewhere around 16K.  I tested my hearing with tones and it was definitely somewhere it that range.  It's gone away though.  I don't know if it healed and I can now hear better, or whether I just can't hear 16K anymore so it went away.

I used to go to a lot of concerts (hundreds in my lifetime, lost count), but I've cut way down as I've gotten older.  Last one was about 18 months ago.  I also recently got a car with less wind noise.  I used to drive a Jeep that was like a wind tunnel, and now I have a Beamer which has almost no wind noise.  So I think between the lack of concerts and the lack of wind noise when driving, my ears may be more healthy.

Aug 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 27
A couple of years ago I had tinnitus that was somewhere around 16K.  I tested my hearing with tones and it was definitely somewhere it that range.  It's gone away though.  I don't know if it healed and I can now hear better, or whether I just can't hear 16K anymore so it went away.

I used to go to a lot of concerts (hundreds in my lifetime, lost count), but I've cut way down as I've gotten older.  Last one was about 18 months ago.  I also recently got a car with less wind noise.  I used to drive a Jeep that was like a wind tunnel, and now I have a Beamer which has almost no wind noise.  So I think between the lack of concerts and the lack of wind noise when driving, my ears may be more healthy.

It's interesting that you say that about the car. I saw a study done that a lot of commuters have substantially less hearing ability in their left ear than their right ear. The cause: having the window down.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #23 of 27

Quote:

It's interesting that you say that about the car. I saw a study done that a lot of commuters have substantially less hearing ability in their left ear than their right ear. The cause: having the window down.

Well, at least they'll be among friends with all those people pumping music extremely loudly through only one earbud.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #25 of 27
It sounds like tinnitus isn't a great thing. Does anyone have tips to prevent it?

Thanks to some intelligent members in the community, I invested in some er20's when I'm on the subway, and around loud machines. They work pretty well, and I think they have saved my hearing countless times. But should I be worried about other seemingly innocuous noises (e.g. air conditioner, cars)?

Additionally, this infection thing has me wondering. How do I clean those earplugs? Mine are currently covered in earwax and deserve a cleaning, but soaking it and washing w/ water doesn't seem to help get rid of the coloration.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #26 of 27

Quote:
It sounds like tinnitus isn't a great thing. Does anyone have tips to prevent it?

Thanks to some intelligent members in the community, I invested in some er20's when I'm on the subway, and around loud machines. They work pretty well, and I think they have saved my hearing countless times. But should I be worried about other seemingly innocuous noises (e.g. air conditioner, cars)?

Additionally, this infection thing has me wondering. How do I clean those earplugs? Mine are currently covered in earwax and deserve a cleaning, but soaking it and washing w/ water doesn't seem to help get rid of the coloration.

Depends on what the tinnitus is caused from.
I went to the ENT a couple weeks ago due to the ringing in mine. The audiologist said I had great hearing in both ears. The Doc. could not see any physical damage to my ear so he sent me in for an MRI of my entire brain. Those came back perfect. He thinks it may be related to my blood pressure.

Aug 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #27 of 27

Quote:
Depends on what the tinnitus is caused from.
I went to the ENT a couple weeks ago due to the ringing in mine. The audiologist said I had great hearing in both ears. The Doc. could not see any physical damage to my ear so he sent me in for an MRI of my entire brain. Those came back perfect. He thinks it may be related to my blood pressure.

That's an interesting point.  In addition to what I posted above, I've also significantly lowered my blood pressure (with diet and a small dosage of medicine).  I wonder if that has anything to do with my tinnitus going away...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back