Anyone still playing StarCraft??
Mar 20, 2006 at 4:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Sladeophile

Headphoneus Supremus
I've found myself playing some good oldschool pc gaming lately, namely StarCraft. It makes for some great online play. Does anyone else still play this or am I alone? This game has some seriously great customized stuff for mapmakers and you can find some really interesting and entertaining mods. Check it out if you used to play and haven't played for a while!
Slade

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 36
There are modified map online, some are really fun to play with. One me and my friends played with is like a base defense type, waves of enemies come at you periodically and all you have to do is to build defensive units. I think the first round is 30 zerglings, second round is 20 zealots, then it gets tougher. There are also rounds with air units like battlecruisers, so you gotta make sure you have enough power to take them down before they reach the end of your base.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 36
I just got back into playing Starcraft. I honestly think it is hands down the single best RTS ever created. Why? One reason: it is perfectly balanced. There are no inherent advantage in playing any one side: it depends entirely on the strategic thinking of the player. To me, that is the epitome of a good RTS, since it allows individual players to use whatever strategy they want and make those strategies viable.

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 36
i mostly just play UMS nowadays. too lazy to use strat in melee

Mar 20, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #7 of 36
I do UMS mostly now too. I do get really tired of the stupid profane kids on there. Battlenet needs restructuring as well. But I agree that it is the one rts game that I always end up coming back to, and I do play a lot. The new star wars one is worth a look though, I recommend it. It just seems like nothing is as versatile as SC, crazy kerrigans and all...
Slade

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 36
i was about a month ago. crazy though cause i was just thinking about playing...
really into warhammer40k: dawn of war now. there's a mod that's out there that turns it into starcraft-ish i think...

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #10 of 36
I think half the Korean gamers on the planet still play or avidly follow pro StarCraft tournaments. I never got into it but there's still a bunch of guys at work who play regularly.

Mar 20, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #11 of 36
Yeah currently I'm playing Starcraft/Brood War, Diablo 2 LOD, and Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne.

Mar 20, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #12 of 36
Doesn't blizzard make top notch stuff? I don't think any other games come out so finished (or take so long to finish, for that matter) as blizzard's. I don't hesitate to buy them. WoW is the only one I haven't bought because I don't want to pay 50 bucks and ALSO have to pay a monthly fee to play. Guild Wars fits that bill very nicely...
Slade

Mar 20, 2006 at 7:14 AM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R
Yeah currently I'm playing Starcraft/Brood War, Diablo 2 LOD, and Warcraft 3/Frozen Throne.

Haha, my son works for Blizzard and he got me hooked on Diabolo 2--now THATs old school! What a time sink!!
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 20, 2006 at 10:40 AM Post #14 of 36
I wished I still had my copy of starcraft (and warcraft II and III). But, yes, indeed, Blizzard makes awesome games hands-down. I still have fond memories of warcraft I.

Plus, Blizzard have a sense of humor. (click on the sheeps till they explode!
icon10.gif
)

My favorite Blizzard units:

Human Archers (warcraft I) - line up a 4 x 4, and you can take down any unit except for the demon.

Demon (warcraft I) -
very_evil_smiley.gif

Paladin (warcraft II) - "For the KING!!!"

Berserker Troll (warcraft II) - "Say hello to my little friend."

Siege tanks (starcraft) - line up 4 on siege mode, and listen to rhythmic pounding as your opponents are leveled flat.

Zealots (starcraft) - Just plain kick ass on 2 feet.

Ghosts (starcraft) - Red dot!! Red dot!! Nuclear warhead detect!!! Crap!
icon10.gif

Favorite heros:

Danath (warcraft II expansion) - "Step aside junior."

Kerrigan (starcraft) - "thinking the same thing."

Fenix (starcraft) - zealot mode... awesome.

Mar 21, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #15 of 36
zud zud...............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back