Anyone ships Philips HP890's to US?
Jan 12, 2004 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Adairen

New Head-Fier
I was referred to Meyer Audio as I was told that they ship to US. Recently they took their Philips headphones line off their site for some reason.

Anyone know of a place where I can buy the Philips HP890's, and have them sent to the US?

Jan 13, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #2 of 12
Hmm...I would email Dr. Meier and ask him what's up. That is kinda weird that the Philips phones would just suddenly disappear.

I was in the same boat as you a few monthes ago--looking for a U.S. dealer of the Hp890. I never found one--I just found one place that had the hp900 and they charged way too much for it. I ended up buying my hp890 used from another head-fier. Coincidencely I currently have my hp890 up for sale, check it out on the Gear for sale/trade forum.

And welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet (standard greeting around here).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 13, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 12
you know those pics of car crashes they show people to stop them speeding...

images.php

images.php

images.php

images.php

images.php

edit: the bottom pic is mine, and thats my second pair as well, first pair was returned because socket in the headphone stopped making a connection after a few months

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #5 of 12
Oh dear, my pair has those same hair-line fracures by the screws as shown in the second and third pics. I didn't know these phones were so prone to breaking.
frown.gif
Still some tape or superglue along the fractures should keep them from getting worse. Anyway, it looks like I'll have to drop my asking price for the hp890s that I'm trying to sell being that these fractures can potentially lead to things much worse. Ah well, thanks for the warning MegaMeee.

Jan 14, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 12
i dont think the hairline cracks around the screw matters too much, as you can see the bottom pic, my bottom screw is not doing much of anything, but its still holding together ok at the moment (not that it ever gets used, i dont like the sound either
smily_headphones1.gif
)... its big cracking where the headband comes out as in the pics that you need to worry about
frown.gif

i think because the headphones are so big theres just too much torque put on the hinges, causes the hairline cracks. the plastic is just way too thin for headphones of that size. it also looks like the headphone cups themselves are made from a stronger plastic than the headband - perhaps if it was all made out of that pastic it would be ok...

Jan 14, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 12
Don't forget the headband gets sloppy after a while and the pads wear out fairly quickly - I don't think Philips have replacement parts either
frown.gif

Jan 19, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #10 of 12
No damage here on this pair...

That being said, i've only used mine for about 20hrs in a year... just listening to them now... not bad for the price (considering that they're 1/14 the price of the RS1 at UK prices
wink.gif
)

Jan 20, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #12 of 12
Well, hmmm. Due to the overwhelming responses about breakage, I think I'm going to look for another model/brand for my headphone needs. Thanks for all of your imput and it is appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back