Anyone seen the new Yamaha eph series (eph 22, 32, 52)?
Dec 3, 2015 at 12:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

deepee

New Head-Fier
Looks like Yamaha is producing a large number of new in ears.
The drivers are said to be 20hz-40khz (which animals need the 40khz level?)

They seem to differ very little from one another, with various technology
improvements, I guess the eph-52 being the most lucrative.
Also they have R (remote) and W (wireless) versions.
Yamaha still sells the eph-m100 and eph-m200 (I have the latter,
which is excellent).

They seem also to have a strange arrangement for the cable, which allows
you to wear it also upside down. However, the wire extends from the back of the
ear towards the front and only then over it, which looks to me uncomfortable.

Are these any good?

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 5
 These have been around a while. Came out at the same time as the M100 and M200 which didn't go over as well as the old EPH-100 around here. The 52 gets some good reviews in Japan. They describe them as more balanced, maybe not as bassy as the M's. I'd assume the 52 would be the one worth trying.

Dec 3, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Well i have the EPH-r52's and they are really good indeed, i buyed them out of curiosity and ended replacing my shure se215 by a good margin.
The sound is neutral and balanced with good and clear bass, really good mids, not as pronounced as the shures but cleaner, crystal clear and extended highs, not sibilant at all, for the price ($68.00) are hard to beat.
Comfort is good too, my only complaint is the volume slider in the remote, is not very useful and it keeps moving in my pocket.

Edit. Forgot to mention also have the r22's mostly for the phone they sound similar to the 52's with more bass (a little bloated) little less highs and a bit muddier.

Jun 13, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #4 of 5
EPH-r52 as well, bought these since i normally really like Yamaha (amps and HPH-mt7 headphones). They are neutral sounding indeed, but poor sensitivity and sometimes clearly distinguishable hiss in the highs and thin bass at 20Hz. Also uncomfortable construction for me compared to some other in-ears. I have Sony mdr-ex650ap and Beyerdynamic soulbyrd as well and these sound much more enjoyable (while still relatively neutral) with the source volume at a normal level and especially the soulbyrds sit very comfortably. Both of these are in the same price bracket...

Jun 20, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 5
'Elegant design paired with natural reproduction of musical instrument sounds.'

Yamaha is best suited to monotonal sound, like piano. EPH-52 I've had since 2017 definitely satisfied me due to the surprise discovery that it was actually a hires capable product (40kHz) but hadn't had the hires logo.
Clearly people liked EPH-100.

EPH-52 is a very original design, capable of two forms of wearing, over or in the ear. They are like studio monitors, definitely not so sibilant, and close to neutral. They can be fragile - coating and wiring, so Sony mdr-ex series tends to be a similar sound while being easier to use daily.

Overall, a very special product from Yamaha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back