Anyone seen the million dollar cable challenge?
Oct 3, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #76 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those sorts of tests have been done already. The average person can't tell any difference between cables of reasonable quality.

The people who are propogating the myth of high end cables are the audio magazine and website reviewers whose bread and butter is put on the table by the advertisers who support them. That makes them an accomplice in the snake oil. The golden ear reviewers who are selling out their readers for the sake of protecting their advertisers' scam are the PERFECT ones to target. Bring them down and the whole house of cards falls.

There still will be suckers. There are always suckers. But there won't be a mass market way of reaching them if the audio press is held responsible for what it touts.

See ya
Steve

Dave Clark doesn't seem to be a "bad guy" pushing snake oil but thats my personal opinion. If you look at Possitive feedback back when it was a print publication you would see that noone was makeing big buck from it, in fact many ideas were given away. The editorital philosophy of the website http://www.positive-feedback.com/philosophy.htm seems pretty up front. For the record I would never spend my own money on super dollar cables in fact I doubt my own speaker cables could be cheaper.

Oct 3, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #77 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
settle down, i did.

i'm going off what cclragnarok said on page 2. the "anyone" on his actual website is referring to his paranormal tests, not his audio cable test. and the "any" in the article in question refers to audiophile reviewers. it may be the case that you are right, but i would venture a guess and say that he is more interested in agitating the high profile reviewers than anything else.

Sorry, my post wasn't meant to sound harsh.

But he allows anyone to try to prove any paranormal or super human traits.

I think he considers the cables a bit of both.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #78 of 160
it's cool
biggrin.gif

cables are serious 'bidness...haha.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:06 AM Post #79 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's a great interview with Randi on the first volume of Penn & Teller's BS (Showtime). He's a very fascinating and smart person. He's had a standing million dollar offer for evidence of extra sensory perception under controlled circumstances. He's never had to pay it!

See ya
Steve

Does he even have a million dollars? Anyways, it's all subjective..

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #80 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody is going to win that prize because cables are colored which doesn't make them better like Randi says. Even if they sound better to others they don't sound better to Randi because he is a fan of stock cables. Randi uses a lot of tricks and he always wins no matter what happens, but the followers of his cult are too brainwashed to see it.

Randi also doesn't believe that amps make a difference because they measure the same. Imagine the worst skeptic at head-fi and multiply that by 100 times. He choses the equipment and place, he chooses the warm-up time (probably 30 seconds), then he breathes behind your back and tells you to hurry up because he has other claims to debunk. Would you like to make a blind test with him?

I have spent almost a year at Randi's forum and they only laugh at other people and call them names so that their ego grows bigger. They are using even simpler logic than the skeptics at head-fi do. Most of them don't even own an audio system because they have already made up their minds.

Yep. He's playing the I gotcha game.. Either way it's a lose, lose situation for the guy/company that takes the bait.. Even if someone did win, I'm sure they would make a excuse or add a new stipulation just to avoid payment.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:27 AM Post #81 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by polvodediamante /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a couple of friends that are now completely hounding me over my hobby, since to them (specially now) is a huge SCAM!

I never really had an opinion in cables, but I guess I now know to be weary of advertising claims.

People like James Randi and Penn and teller (Although Penn and Teller have screwed up a couple of times) are my heroes, and I'm glad that JREF is not only attacking paranormal claims (like ESP, which I'm always amazed to find that people believe in!) but also claims which affect us on a more day to day basis (be wary of advertising claims, etc.).

How a fetus grows in the womb to for a human life is more unbelievable to me.. & if there was no proof of this, I'm sure you wouldn't believe that either.. Same with Dinosaurs. & how about planets suspended in space..

Oct 3, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #83 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nobody is going to win that prize because cables are colored which doesn't make them better like Randi says. Even if they sound better to others they don't sound better to Randi because he is a fan of stock cables. Randi uses a lot of tricks and he always wins no matter what happens, but the followers of his cult are too brainwashed to see it.

That's bullcrap. Every test is agreed by the participant, and you dont necessarily need to travel anywhere. It is easy for Randi's critics to criticize the strict test, but I believe if there is anyone who wants to cheat, it is the participants for that pile of green paper...

In one of the paranormal tests, a Swedish woman, who claim to have connection with the dead had her test in Nordiska Museet in Stockholm.

Randi is a sceptic in the word's worst scenario. However, his test are pretty objective and, for example, in the case I linked the protocol is IMO pretty fair and acceptable.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:12 AM Post #84 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i'm not sure if this link has been posted, but it is interesting and supports, i believe, the idea that cables do sound different and even have certain definable attributes.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...1-12-2000.html

Thats funny how they say this:
"The structural material (silver vs. copper) of conductors is not a guide for the character of sound.

The basic parameters of cables i.e., their capacitance, DC resistance, and inductance, were not correlated with sound quality. The theory that a cable is better if it has lower capacitance, is invalid. Of course, this does not say anything about the accuracy of electrical propagation of the signal in relation to reactance. There just does not appear to be a correlation with audible preferences.

The treatment of the terminating connector has a significant role."

Many of this isnt shared opinion by cable owners on head-fi, so who is correct?
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda
copper overall gives a fuller sound. silver is leaner in sound but generally with more detail. that has been my experience with the two cables.

you yourself offer opinions contrary to this guide

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #85 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's bullcrap. Every test is agreed by the participant, and you dont necessarily need to travel anywhere. It is easy for Randi's critics to criticize the strict test, but I believe if there is anyone who wants to cheat, it is the participants for that pile of green paper...

It's particularly easy to criticize the test by making things up. I can't help but notice that Patrick has not yet responded to my request for a reference for his criticism.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #86 of 160
Considering hearing cables difference as paranormal sounds a bit absurd to me because there're plenty of people who can hear difference eventhough they aren't audiophiler.

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #87 of 160
There are plenty of people who claim to have seen UFOs and ghosts even though they aren't UFO or paranormal researchers.

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:15 PM Post #88 of 160
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How a fetus grows in the womb to for a human life is more unbelievable to me.. & if there was no proof of this, I'm sure you wouldn't believe that either.. Same with Dinosaurs. & how about planets suspended in space..

I can guarantee you that nature is a LOT more unpredictable than man made wires. But it's still understandable... if you use the scientific method to study it.

See ya
Steve

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #89 of 160
A UFO beamed my cables up last night and this morning there was a night and day difference! I'm going to get in contact with this guy. Of course I didn't hear it, my dead husband did!

Oct 3, 2007 at 5:34 PM Post #90 of 160
Jitter is caused by Cosmic Forces from BEYOND OUR DIMENSION!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back