Anyone see Jan's review of the 595, 555, and 515
Feb 29, 2004 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Jbroad572

500+ Head-Fier
This was posted 2 days ago on Headwize, hope it's ok, to repost over here. This from Jan Meier though.
Thought some people would be interested just as I, before I was directed to this post.
Quote:

Dear headfellows,

These three medium-priced headphones have just been released and given the popularity of Sennheiser phones I thought it a good idea to share my impressions with you.

The first impression always comes with the box. Whereas for just five years ago most headphones came in rather flimsy and cheap boxes the situation has now drastically changed. The newer boxes of the Philips, Beyerdynamic, and Ultrasone systems are much fancier and sturdier than the old versions.

The boxes of these new Sennheiser systems are no exception. There is no comparison with the boxes the old HD570, HD580, and HD590 came in. These new boxes are sturdy and open in a pretty fancy way: The front is split in two parts and can be opened like the shutters of a window. After doing so the headphone is shown neatly behind a plastic window. Nice indeed. Maybe the dark green colour could have been done better but that's personal taste.

The second impression comes from the headphones themselves. Much has been discussed on the looks of these new systems. Some like them, other people are less positive. Personally I like their design quite a lot. The slim oval shape of the earcups and the nice curve of the earcup suspension give these phones a very distinct face. Especially the HD555 and HD595 are very much to my taste. The grill on the HD515 has less appeal to me but I guess younger people will like their slightly faster looks.

The quality of the constructions is pretty good with a clear improvement with the more expensive headphones. The earpads and headband pad on the HD515 are simple foam constructions with a fluffy cover (nylon?). The pads on the HD555 are similar but are covered with velvet. The HD595 also has velvet earpads but the headband is completely covered with artificial leather.

What I don't like on the construction is the single-sided suspension of the earcups. By principle such a suspension tends to be more vulnerable than a conventional two-sided one. The joints are made of plastic and although they feel pretty sturdy I'm not too sure whether they will easily survive heavy duty applications.

I also don't like the one-sided cord very much. It's quite thin and can not be exchanged (upgraded). My experience with Sennheiser cables is that their cables aren't the best, sonically speaking.

The phones are pretty light-weight and the paddings are relatively large. Accordingly comfort is high.

The HD595 comes with a nice headphone holder for shelf or table mounting.

I gave all phones a decent 50 hours break-in before I started listening. As reference I used a HD650 with Oehlbach upgrade cable.

HD595

Everybody who expects the HD595 to be a cheaper alternative for the HD650 has to be warned. These two systems have a clearly different sonic balance. The HD650 has a deep bass and a slightly recessed treble. The sonic result is a warm and relaxed sound. Detail is nonetheless high thanks to an almost complete lack of distortion. The HD595 has a brighter and cleaner presentation. Bass is well defined but not as deep as that of the HD650. At lower sound levels the HD595 presents slightly more details thanks to the more forward treble. At higher levels there's a slight tendency to sibilance and also a low degree of harshness. Although both systems are miles away from the quality of an Orpheus I find the sonic balance of the HD595 closer to this reference system than the HD650.

The chief designer of Sennheiser once told me, that their premium headphones are designed to be driven out of a low impedance headphone output. They disregard the international standard of 120 Ohm output impedance. This is clearly shown by the HD600/650. These phones start to sound muddy at an elevated output impedance. The bass of the HD595 also becomes slightly muddy at 120 Ohm but nonetheless some people might prefer the sound that results. The increased output impedance also reduces the forward treble and makes the sound more relaxed. This phone invites you to experiment with different impedance values (which I didn't do myself).

There is a marked difference in soundstage of the two headphones. That on the HD650 is extremely broad and into my head. While listening to this phone I personally really need crossfeed, otherwise I start feeling pretty uncomfortable while listening to certain recordings. The HD595 has angled drivers and what Sennheiser calls E.A.R. technology (Eargonomic Acoustic Refinement). This really seems to help on soundstaging. In stereo-mode the soundstage is more out of the head and forward than that of the HD650. The effect of crossfeed is less pronounced.

HD555

I found the sonic differences between the HD555 and the HD595 to be small. The bass on the HD595 has slightly better definition and the treble seems to be a little bit cleaner but for everybody on a small budget the HD555 is a very nice alternative for its more expensive sister.

HD515

This phone is quite different from the other two models. Treble is less forward and bass is rather muddy. Overall presentation is rather on the dark side. Somehow this phone reminds me more of the HD650 than that of the HD595. The phone left me indifferent. Nice, but nothing outstanding.

I hope you enjoyed reading!

:)

Jan

Feb 29, 2004 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 13
Yup, I read his comments on the evening after I had ordered the HD 595 and DT440...

Oh, and as this one here is almost as good as a separate thread, here are some more comparative impressions - New Groovalizer (my reference here; thoroughly burnt and run in)/HD 595 (after a few hours of burn-in)/DT440 (outta the box):

- comfort: I still like the K240S best - it's very light on the head and the earpads fit snugly. Fairly secure fit without any unpleasant pressure by excessive clamping force... HD 595 ain't bad either, snugly fit, but also a bit more clamping force... DT440 is still not uncomfy, but rests clearly harder on the head and also has more clamping force than the other two.

- sound (Grundig CDP4100 -> Porta Corda (II, class A mode)): Well, well, well - I still like the K240S best. It joust sounds smoothest and most tangible to me. DT440 is almost as good in bass extension and punch, though, but also a tad more analytical or perhaps more hifi oriented
wink.gif
- and it sounds a bit more sparkly in the highs. Still very smooth, though, and a bit airier, too - I'd call the DT440 a pleasant surprise (just too bad it's not as comfy as the DT531...), and it's also fairly sensitive and efficient. The comparatively thick and long single-sided cable might make it somewhat problematic for portable applications, though. The HD 595 sounds most analytical and bright in comparision (and needs most voltage swing of the three - still it seems to be quite efficient), bass extension and punch are a bit recessed compared to the other two phones. Presentation is airiest of the three, but also a bit more distant. And while the HD 595 seems to convey most detail, it also sounds a bit grainy and not as smooth as the other two cans to me. It might not be a real Groovalizer, but it's a least a groovy Analyzer, I'd say - I like it better than the DT931 and DT880.

- price-performance: DT440 very fair, K240S good, HD 595 ok - imho.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 29, 2004 at 11:19 AM Post #3 of 13
Curious to how you would rate these (595) against the k271's, dt770, and the k501's. Where would you put these? Are the more upfront IYO than the previous Senn line? I've never heard or read about the High dollar Senn phone, so I'm not too sure of its characteristics. How do they sound unamped?

Feb 29, 2004 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, I don't like the DT770Pro/250 due to its unreal overpowering bass. Und unless what occurs to me as upper midrange weirdness on the K271S will go away with thorough burn-in, I don't like that much either. I'd prefer the HD 595 over both. In addition, the DT770Pro/250 also isn't that comfy. I'm not completely sure about the K501, which unfortunately is out of quick reach (= in Munich) at the moment. I'd suspect it to be smoother, but also a bit more recessed in the bass and less punchy than the HD 595. Probably a tie in the end...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 29, 2004 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Jbroad572
This was posted 2 days ago on Headwize, hope it's ok, to repost over here. This from Jan Meier though.
Thought some people would be interested just as I, before I was directed to this post.

Where are you ordering from?? I can't find any sites that have the new headphones in stock. I wanted to order the HD 555.

Feb 29, 2004 at 1:16 PM Post #7 of 13
thanks!!

I have a question if you don't mind. The website mentions this...

$ 125,- in combination with a headphoneamplifier. Is it that the final price ($155) includes a headphone amplifier?? Do I really need one with the HD 555?

Feb 29, 2004 at 2:21 PM Post #8 of 13
Nono - if you buy the Headphone AND one of Meiers excellent amplifiers then you will get the special pricing. The HD-555 should go very well with the Porta Corda or the higher end Corda's. It may sound good without an amp but it will open up totally with some nice power driving it!!

Feb 29, 2004 at 2:36 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by gsferrari
Nono - if you buy the Headphone AND one of Meiers excellent amplifiers then you will get the special pricing. The HD-555 should go very well with the Porta Corda or the higher end Corda's. It may sound good without an amp but it will open up totally with some nice power driving it!!

That's too much for my budget...for now anyway
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe in the summer.

Feb 29, 2004 at 4:21 PM Post #11 of 13
Thanks for your impressions! Always among the most reliable at head-fi!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

A groovy analyzer....
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by lini
Yup, I read his comments on the evening after I had ordered the HD 595 and DT440...

Oh, and as this one here is almost as good as a separate thread, here are some more comparative impressions - New Groovalizer (my reference here; thoroughly burnt and run in)/HD 595 (after a few hours of burn-in)/DT440 (outta the box):

- comfort: I still like the K240S best - it's very light on the head and the earpads fit snugly. Fairly secure fit without any unpleasant pressure by excessive clamping force... HD 595 ain't bad either...

- sound (Grundig CDP4100 -> Porta Corda (II, class A mode)): Well, well, well - I still like the K240S best...

The HD 595 sounds most analytical and bright in comparision (and needs most voltage swing of the three - still it seems to be quite efficient), bass extension and punch are a bit recessed compared to the other two phones...but it's a least a groovy Analyzer, I'd say - I like it better than the DT931 and DT880....

- price-performance: DT440 very fair, K240S good, HD 595 ok - imho.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Mar 1, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #12 of 13
How does the soundstage compare to the dt880's? Is the bass better, punchier than the 880's, how about brightness compared to those?

Mar 9, 2004 at 9:24 AM Post #13 of 13
Hi I am brand new to the board. Would it best for me to buy a
HD580 with a mint amp
or a hd555 since they don't need amps, don't include it?

I listen to classical/orchestra-game/ Rock and Electronica. Linear sound, accurate to studio or live with an energetic and still warm sound on piano notes would be nice requirements.

The hd580 was made for studio, the hd555 seems like its for home. The hd580 seems well proven to be pro sounding.

Recommendations please?

Thanks
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back