anyone score any goodies at 'sparkfun free day' today?
Jan 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
wow. what a riot! they had a promo today for free $100 of goodies (you pick) and you pay shipping.

took me almost 2 hours in the browser window to get beyond all the timeouts on the webserver. wow.

they are going until they give away $100k of stuff. they're almost there now (don't bother trying unless you are already logged in as their servers will just kick you out).

anyone get any good stuff today from them?

what it looked like IF you were able to get an order in:

4253832009_714cfc1b23.jpg

Jan 7, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #8 of 12
I had a cart ready to go and everything, but never got past the shipping info page for 2 hours (despite being on UCLA's network, which being on the internet backbone should be faster with less routing than your average home ISP). Big bummer. I'm probably still going to order a couple things eventually, but a "rain check" discount of say 20% would go a LONG way towards quelling the revolt going on over there while getting people to order a bunch of stuff from them.

Also, I hope every server admin out there looks back on this as a case study - you can't have a major event like this without using some sort of scaled architecture (like buying CPU time from Amazon) for loads over what their normal architecture can handle.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Their site is perpetually slow. Dunno how they can claim they moved to a server cluster.

I missed the cutoff despite f5ing every 15 minutes or so from 11 till it ended.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #11 of 12
I loaded my cart last night, and spent almost two hours trying to get through this morning.

No luck.

Same for two others I work with.

Funny thing is our office is right across the street from them ...

Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back