Anyone saw the 24bit/96KHz USB->S/P-DIF device in sterephile today?
Apr 23, 2009 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gamerphile

500+ Head-Fier
Saw this one in a Stereophile today... Looks legit as in they actually do it the right way and such... No idea who did the programming on the IT chip thought - its things like this I'd hope I can help DIY down to a lot lower price levels if people can spare the fancy box etc... anywho neat thing if you don't got a optical S/P-DIF device that can handle that like I do (Creative X-Fi Elite Pro):
Bel Canto

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamerphile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No idea who did the programming on the IT chip thought - its things like this I'd hope I can help DIY down to a lot lower price levels if people can spare the fancy box

Programming it is not trivial, companies like Benchmark use the code by Centrance.
Most brands stick to a drop-in solution limiting you to 16/48.
Very few develop their own drivers, allowing up to 24/192.
EMU 404 is the only one I know supporting this sample rate over USB.

The cheapest 24/96 I know (99,-): M-AUDIO - Transit - Hi-Resolution Mobile Audio Interface

A bit more on USB audio can be found here:
USB DACs
USB Audio: USB Audio

Apr 24, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 5
Other then a higher quality clock and that it uses BNC Coaxial, whats so different about this compared to the transit for $80 on average? Just some jitter reduction? It states its using native drivers and the cheapo Hammond (fancy box) case doesn't inspire confidence. Optical has electrical isolation too for free, I might as well go pull in the Empirical Audio stuff too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back