Anyone remove the memory wire and clear casing off custom cables?
Jan 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

archercat

100+ Head-Fier
I have the UE custom cable on my triples... They seem to work well, but I would like to remove the clear shell and memory wire, so they would be more shure e2c/westone like...

The only negative I can foresee would be no protection on the very thin wires from sweat and such, thus possibly making the cables more brittle around the ears, and no real protection where the cables meet the two prong plug. Maybe an inch of heatshrink there might help? (although all the heatshrinks that are big enough to get over the plug, would be too large for the small wires I'll bet)

Anyone try this?

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:18 PM Post #2 of 4
I'm probably not gonna be much help, but I recently used a razorblade to remove the memory wire on a Null cable (Stupid cable memorized the wrong position when I had the cable in the wrong way and I couldn't get it to go back the other way) and the wire seems fine.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #3 of 4
I wouldn't do it because I'd be worried about stress relief on that part of the cable. You could try some heatshrink but if you only put a little it might not help much, because the heatshrink would be pointing up and the cable will be getting pulled back and down and I'd be worried about too much stress on the cable where the heatshrink ends. If you put more heatshrink to the point of guiding the cable back and down it'd be the same thing as the memory wire pretty much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back