Anyone prefer sr-60s over sr-225s?
Dec 23, 2006 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

chia-pet

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone prefer the SR-60 over the SR225? If so, why?

I'm trying to decide which of these two to pickup for the holidays.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:46 AM Post #2 of 20
[size=xx-small]Uh... Me!! but thats because I have the RS1[/size]

If I want the high end Grado sound, soundstage, and detail resolution I use the RS1. Straight out of the laptop, or TV phone jack is for the SR60/bowls (which is basically an SR80). I'm not saying the SR60 is superior to the 225 (quite the contrary actually), but its good enough for non-critical applications. Since the SR60 is less detail revealing than the 225 it tends to mask low bitrate MP3s and poor recordings (IMHO). At ~$55 used the 60 is considerably cheaper.

Go for the 225 though if you can afford it... its a better can and will scale up better than the 60 with amp/source upgrades.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 20
SR225 is only going to be significantly better than the SR60 if you have a setup worthy of it. So if you're just running it straight out of a device without an amp, you'd be better off with an SR60 or MS1.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:20 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you didn't have either, and you had to choose one, which would you choose! No play both sides!
tongue.gif

LOL...

If youre on a strict budget, don't forsee an amp or source upgrade in your future, or plugging into an ipod with MP3 files get the SR60.

If youre plugging into a hi-fi receiver with a DVD/Cd as source get the SR225

If you forsee an amp/source upgrade in your future get the SR225.

If youre plugging into a vintage PCDP get the SR225.

What kind of listener are you?

A) Are you the type who picks apart details in your head.... focusing on the attack/decay, acoustic resonance of notes and the spectral image of the recording?

B) Are you humming along to the melody, tapping your foot to the beat and playing air guitar?

If youre more of type A get the SR225, if youre more of type B go for the SR60.

IMHO you should also consider the SR80. Its basically an SR60 with bowl pads, so it has more air, treble detail and stereo separation.

Heres another thing to consider. The mere fact that youre questioning it means you have the seed of doubt planted in your head. If you get the SR60, that seed will grow and always be there, and may to some degree prevent you from really enjoying the SR60. "Hmmm... I wonder how much better this would sound with the SR225?" Kill that seed of doubt right off the bat and get the SR225.

Well... enough of my ranting!! Get out and DEMO them all, let your ears decide which is the better option.

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:40 AM Post #7 of 20
OK, I'll play and pipe in and ask why are you only considering the SR60 or 225? Are you music tastes hard rock and metal? If so, consider the SR60.....if not, then there are other budget headphones to chose from. The SR60 emphasizes the treble, and is not nearly as refined as the higher end Grados. In fact, when I borrowed them, I thought they had pretty poor instrument seperation. Closed cans like the HD280 or Sony MDR-V6s are better all around cans in that price range IMHO.

I haven't listened to the SR225, but I have its brother, the SR325i. There's night and day improvements in SQ with the more expensive Grados. Miked vocals and guitars are something else on Grados.

Dec 23, 2006 at 9:39 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
"Hmmm... I wonder how much better this would sound with the SR225?" Kill that seed of doubt right off the bat and get the SR225.

That's what I did. I thought about the MS1, SR60, and SR80 and based on what I read here I went straight to the sweetspot (225). As of right now, I can't see myself buying another headphone for a LONG time.

Dec 23, 2006 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 20
Using a modest source and no amp, I was happy with the SR60 for about a year. At that point, I wanted a bigger taste of the higher-end listening experience that the SR60's allow a brief glimpse into every now and then. I had no headphone amp, and my source was a modest iRiver SlimX 350 portable CD player. At that point, I upgraded from the SR60 to the SR225 with the same modest, ampless system. I was so impressed by all of the new and wonderful sounds and listening experiences that the SR225's offered over the SR60's that, within a few months, I bought my first headphone amp. Over the next few years, I've continued to accumulate the rigs (that's plural) you see in my sig. Once I got a really nice taste of facets of a higher-end (tastier and more ear-satisfying) sound on a more regular basis through the SR225's, it was hard not to incrementally keep improving the rig(s) to keep those "Oh, Wow" listening moments coming stronger and more frequently. At pretty much every point of this incremental audio journey of mine, I've just been amazed at how GOOD what I was listening to sounded to me.

So, if you'd like to stick with just enjoying your music (and not fiddling with your rig much), I found the SR60 to be very good for that. But, getting into the kinds of higher-end listening moments that the SR225 can give on even very modest systems CAN be a first step into a longer (and very satisfying) journey which continues to draw on available funds and delivers ever-deeper enjoyment of what you love your music for. So, one factor in your choice of SR60 or SR225 depends a good bit on what you're looking for: a one-time purchase that you can just listen through for a while, or (potentially) the start of an ongoing journey of discovery into the rich and rewarding realm of audio.

Dec 23, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by chia-pet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone prefer the SR-60 over the SR225? If so, why?

I'm trying to decide which of these two to pickup for the holidays.
biggrin.gif

Tough questions!!

I have both MS-1 and MS2i and although, like SR-60 and 225, they sound much the same, I have to say I like the MS2i best......except when I like the MS-1 best.

I like the MS2i best when I'm doing nothing but listening to the music...cause when I'm listening to MS2i, ALL I can do is listen to the doggone music!

If I'm doing something else and just want good tunes in the background, then I listen to the MS-1s.

......I was listening to KSC75s on the computer and some portable stuff, but the Wife stole them.
frown.gif
....and the kids are using the MS-1s as much as I am, on their computer for music videos.
frown.gif
frown.gif
.......I may have to get the kids some SR-60s just to get my MS-1s back.
mad.gif

Anyway....yeah; maybe SR-60s for "fun" and SR-225 for the more serious listening. Which to get during the holidays?

Shucks......I'm not even sure what I'd do at the moment.
plainface.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:01 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyway....yeah; maybe SR-60s for "fun" and SR-225 for the more serious listening. Which to get during the holidays?

Shucks......I'm not even sure what I'd do at the moment.
plainface.gif

When are you getting the HD600s F107?? I'm looking forward to hearing where they fall in your listening preferences: you're the most outspoken Alessandro fan here I think!!
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I guess I can't poke too much fun, since while I've tried some other headphones, at heart I'll always be a Sennheiser fanboy
580smile.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When are you getting the HD600s F107?? I'm looking forward to hearing where they fall in your listening preferences: you're the most outspoken Alessandro fan here I think!!
tongue.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

I guess I can't poke too much fun, since while I've tried some other headphones, at heart I'll always be a Sennheiser fanboy
580smile.gif

Ah; that favorite quote: "Sorry 'bout your wallet!" Now there's a saying that really applies to our household!

I'll be getting the HD600s just as soon as my wallet gets out of intensive care and spends a little time in recovery following the holidays!

To say that I'm anxious to get them is a really major understatement!!

Really Major!!
600smile.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah; that favorite quote: "Sorry 'bout your wallet!" Now there's a saying that really applies to our household!

I'll be getting the HD600s just as soon as my wallet gets out of intensive care and spends a little time in recovery following the holidays!

To say that I'm anxious to get them is a really major understatement!!

Really Major!!
600smile.gif

"Sorry about your wallet" is a drastic understatement for me
icon10.gif
After I spent money on presents, I spent even more money on myself......check out my sig and you'll see I'm yet again upgrading!!
icon10.gif
Got a couple months for my wallet to recopperate before tax season
rolleyes.gif
Audio gear is so much more fun then taxes!!
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #15 of 20
Go for either the SR60 or the RS1. With SR60's you're getting an amazing value and with the RS1 you're getting the end-all Grado. Anything in between and you'll just be wondering how the RS1 sounds eventually

I liked the SR225's quite a bit, but I don't think it is a good value compared to the SR60's. They sound almost identical except for the fact that the SR225's are more refined a bit more forgiving in the treble region. They have exactly the same fun factor imo, and that's what counts. If you get the SR60's and run away from here for a while I'm sure you will not be disappointed. If in the end you realize you like the sound a lot then save up for the RS-1's and be done with it. If you don't like the sound that much then look for something else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back