Anyone prefer SE530 over e-Q7?
Apr 28, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec E /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the SE530. I'm never putting the foam tips on again, because I've twice almost broken the earphones trying to wrest them off. Heard a rather scary *CRACK* sound once, but I can't see any sign of what cracked. I really don't know how anyone who likes foam tips is able to cope with the SE530. I don't like foam tips.

Treble isn't an issue so far, except insofar as I'm not really getting the soundstage I expected, and treble or "airiness" seem to be a big part of what creates the illusion of soundstage in an IEM. Otherwise, they sound how I expected them to. Certainly not a bad buy for $254 (B&H Photo), but I'm having some slight fit issues. They seem determined to stick out a bit, though they've got plenty of room to lay flat inside my ears.

Judging from these impressions I can already tell with confidence that you are not getting a good fit with the SE530. Despite what many people say I find that SE530 is extremely difficult to fit properly. Sure they can be comfy, but that doesn't mean the fit is right. I was only able to get a good fit with SE530 maybe 5 or 6 times out of 100 and trust me, when I did, they sounded bloody brilliant in every single aspect - soundstage was huge, treble was perfect, the bass and mids were totally lifelike. I would get custom tips for them if I were you. Otherwise forget it - you probably won't even hear half of what they are capable of most of the time. Just get the e-Q7 instead if you don't want to get custom tips for SE530. e-Q7 sounds far more impressive with the stock tips.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #18 of 27
But in a cruel twist of fate, I seem to have finally gotten a good seal after making the above post, and after requesting a return authorization number; and the result is the best IEM I've yet heard. It's quite a bit like a more coherent, and yes smooth, Westone 3. My only complaint now is that I do finally hear, with a few tracks, the artificially forward vocals that I'd read about. It's a bit like the singer is on a PA system with its speaker right in your face. I'm surprised, but it can ruin a track.

But that's not a standard effect with most music, and I'm otherwise very impressed. No idea if this seal is going to prove repeatable. They still feel like they're stuck into me rather precariously, a la the unmodded TF10. Funny that those two were considered the best and worst of fits in their heyday. They're twins for me, one fat, one lean.

In sum: O earphone gods, why do you mock me?

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #19 of 27
you can always just get custom tips if they are worth it for you since seal does seem to be difficult to achieve.

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #20 of 27
The one example of a universal with custom tips that I've seen was kind of hideously ugly. It was an IE8, and it looked like the guy had a couple of candlestick nubs in his ears, with the candlestick holders still on them.

But I managed to walk a couple of miles with the SE530 in my ears without the murky, just-OK sound quality returning just now, so maybe it will be OK. I loathe this ambiguity about whether or not I really have a good seal, though. I remember the Atrio being like this. It's very weird because the shift from great-to-OK sound happens so gradually that you don't just have the frustration of having to correct it, but you also have the feeling of someone having replaced your regular coffee with Folgers Crystals, or however that ad went.

Apr 29, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #21 of 27
If anyone is having trouble with the SE530 vs e-Q7, I'd suggest trying the GR8s. They're like SE530s on steroids. Tighter bass with a little more slam, same midrange and treble that's laid back but not terribly rolled-off like the SE530. They are also nearly as small as the CK10 and very easy to get a good fit. I love them for sleeping.

Apr 29, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #22 of 27
I've been so demoralized by these damn things that I think I'm going to try a pair of portable headphones next. Honestly, in recent months I've returned or almost immediately sold: Westone 3, Hippo VB, MTP Copper, the Panasonic whatever-it-was... I may be leaving something out. I bought and still have the PFE, which impressed me for a long while, but its thinness annoys me deeply now, and I'm not totally convinced that the left earphone isn't subtly wonky. I just give up. I don't want to be one of these people who buy everything. They're the gadget equivalent of cat ladies.

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #25 of 27
Must say I haven't had any problems with getting a good fit with the SE530. Do you remember to sort of "pull up ear with one hand, insert and twist the earphone with other, release the ear"??

I use foam tips, and yes it is always nerve wrecking to change the tips - but so far so good and in my world the comfort and SQ is definitely worth it.. :)

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #26 of 27
I'm pretty good at getting an earphone or an earplug inserted properly. I was using the largest of the included single flange tips when I had my hour of nirvana with them Wednesday night. I spent all of Thursday unable to replicate that, though--and I did literally try all day long--and finally returned them. They simply didn't fit me. I had tried all of the included tips as well as PFE tips. The earphones wouldn't lay stably against my ears no matter what.

I have had better luck in the past with barrel-shaped earphones than with fat or round ones, so perhaps the e-Q7 would suit me. But I think I'm going to try a portable headphone next as I've never tried one before, and I frankly have IEM burn-out at the moment. I've even thought of selling my iPod Classic, as I find its frequently unresponsive click wheel and general interface terrible in comparison to my late great Vision:M.

Apr 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #27 of 27
It's too bad the olives aren't for you. They hold them in quite well and sound great. Of course fit is critical. Sometimes a different size for each ear does the trick. I suspect that some who think they're lacking highs may be pinching the ends of the olives. To me, they've always been slightly warm and balanced with the olives with a slight lower treble bump. This always has to be taken with a grain as every source setup sound different as well.

I bought PFEs and only listened for a few minutes before reselling. I could tell it was too ethereal for me to be convincing. I'm sure they're great for others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back