Anyone prefer headphones to their 5.1 system.
Jan 9, 2007 at 2:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

JayB18

500+ Head-Fier
I was just comparing my hd555 to my 5.1 system and the sound quality difference is amazing, especially music. My home theater system sounds very tinny and hollow now. The soundstage and directional cues are of course much better on my 5.1 system but the sound quality is a lot worse. I need to upgrade my 5.1 system in the future now.

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 61
I prefer my headphones as well but I'm in the process of upgrading the HT. Right now the JBL satellites are a big bottleneck.

Ant

Jan 9, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #3 of 61
My headphones are my 5.1 system.
280smile.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 61
humm......since headphones can never get the bass or spacial qualities of 5.1 surround, I just want my speakers for movies!!!!!! Music can be more viseral with my headphone rig now. But it's actually kind of more expensive to get headphones to sound that great.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #8 of 61
For me: Movies and Video Games: Speakers
Music: Headphones

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #9 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But it's actually kind of more expensive to get headphones to sound that great.

Interesting.... I've still yet to hear anything cheaper than my headphone system that sounds better to me, or anything under 2x for that matter. Really depends on what things are most important to you and how well those are accomplished by one or the other.

FWIW I like my 271s for movies... go figure (definitely not a
basshead.gif
)

Ant

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 61
headphones are definitely better for music...at least for the price range you could buy high quality headphones compared to a 5.1 system of equal value..hell, an above average receiver would cost you more than a $500 pair of top-of-the-line headphones.

Plus you get personal audio you can take with you in the palm of your hand if you get in-ear headphones like the Shure E500, which gives enough bass response except for the extreme bass hungry individuals (and I'd consider myself slightly bass hungry with 3 x 8W3 JL subwoofers in my car).

For watching movies, though, I'd pick a cheap 5.1 'set' system from WalMart before using headphones
smily_headphones1.gif
Even claimed "5.1" headphones, of which I own the 5.1 Medusa Headphone myself. It works good enough if you need to watch in silence, but nowhere close to my Infinity speaker system with JBL receiver and Velodyne sub.

Jan 9, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by apostate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting.... I've still yet to hear anything cheaper than my headphone system that sounds better to me, or anything under 2x for that matter.

I agree. It costs a lot more to get the same quality sound from an external system compaired to headphones. For instance, I'd wager that to get the quality of the Shure E500 you'd probably have to spend over $2000, unless of course your idea of good quality sound is 'more bass' and not clarity of highs and mids. You'll hear things in high-quality headphones that you could never hear from your external system.

It's fairly cheap to get a lot of bass, but expensive to get high quality highs, mids and lows.

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #12 of 61
No headphones come close to my home theatre setup for movies.

Music on the other hand, I'd much rather have my headphones. Especially on music I'm familiar with, my theatre room just isn't revealing (very akward room shape).

Jan 9, 2007 at 4:46 AM Post #14 of 61
I still don't consider surround sound to be mature. If I had a ton of money to blow on audio equipment, it would definitely be on stereo speakers or heaphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back