Anyone play guitar?
Dec 16, 2005 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

steinba

100+ Head-Fier
I was just wondering if there were many guitarists on head-fi, and what gear they are using. As for myself, I'd rather say that i own a guitar that I sometimes try to play a little.
wink.gif

Anyways, here's my axe:

http://www.nyetwork.net/cs-0079.html

Show off your gear, everybody.

Dec 16, 2005 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 25
http://www.americanmusical.com/images/b/p23918b.jpg

I have for a couple of days now. I am trying to brake in my fingers first. I hear it will take a week or two. I have a few beginner courses to start with. I bought a Fender Telecaster all white and a used Crate 8" 15 watt amp. Allot of times I don't even plug in my Guitar and just take it off the stand and play to work out my fingers. LOL.

I always wanted to learn to play a Guitar but seemed to have to wait until I became 63 years old to buy a decent one. The old man and his Guitar.

I have been felling a little Bord lately and a friend of mine suggested why don't I buy a Guitar as a Hobie so I did and now have something to do.

Dec 16, 2005 at 9:53 AM Post #3 of 25
I got a Cuenca classical guitar for my 17th or 18th birthday which I learned to play as an acoustic guitar. I still have it (though I once broke it, and this year one of my presents was having it repaired) but I now mainly play my white Ibanez Gio which I bought new at the end of the summer. I had always wanted to buy an electric and I still haven't gotten over the giddy feeling I get when I plug it into the distortion pedal and amp and make my music sound all funny.

Dec 16, 2005 at 1:23 PM Post #5 of 25
Current gear...
Gibson SG Standard (heritage cherry) played through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Solo Head (the first 2 channel version) with a Mesa 4-12. I also have a Martin D15 acoustic guitar that I play. Still have my first guitar, an Epiphone Special II, though it doesn't get any play. I don't own any pedals anymore, as I found that even when playing gigs I didn't every really use them, though when I did have some I had an assortment of Boss pedals (super chorus, reverb, octave, had the metal zone until I bought the Mesa half stack, at which point I had absolutely no need for a distortion pedal
evil_smiley.gif
) and a Crybaby Wah.

Past gear...
ESP LTD Explorer (black, 2nd guitar), an old late '70s Fender Strat-ish type guitar (white that had yellowed over the years, it was a Fender but not exactly a strat, and it wasn't any of the other common Fenders), Gibson SG Classic (see-through ebony (which was basically like the root beer color they have), sold it and now I want it back
frown.gif
may have to get one of the cherry ones that musiciansfriend.com has). Also played bass in a band for a while, played a Fender Precision (vintage sunburst, MIM) through a... hell I don't remember, bass amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 25
modest set up: PRS Santana SE - Behrniger GMX 212 - Big Muff Distortion. it gets the job done. looking to get a hollowbody as my next guitar or a new bass. i used to be an avid bass player...i still am...but used to be too.

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 25
Sorry for the old pic - you can tell it's old because I still owned the old-school Alessandro MS-2 in comparo here. It's a Gibson Les Paul Custom with original nickel hardware, and omg I forgot what year just now. '74? Something like that. I might have played it twice since this pic, I'm more of an acoustic guy (the kid likes "the wheels on the bus" on my '67 Guild F-30 more than "Foxy Lady" on the axe, hehe)
LPMS2.jpg

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Sorry for the old pic - you can tell it's old because I still owned the old-school Alessandro MS-2 in comparo here. It's a Gibson Les Paul Custom with original nickel hardware, and omg I forgot what year just now. '74? Something like that. I might have played it twice since this pic, I'm more of an acoustic guy (the kid likes "the wheels on the bus" on my '67 Guild F-30 more than "Foxy Lady" on the axe, hehe)
LPMS2.jpg

Clip those excess strings man!

I used to play but once Guns n' Roses stopped being cool I took up air guitar
eek.gif

All kidding aside I used to have a Ibanez S IIRC (the really thin one?) and Les Paul as well as an acoustic Fender. Had a nice Boogie Rectifier and the standard butt rock Marshall 4-12 cab. I even had a Rock Man
eek.gif
and a Nady wireless (stretch jeans sold separately)

Dec 16, 2005 at 4:59 PM Post #9 of 25
Hehe, yep I did whip it out to restring it with some Ernie Balls and clipped the excess, and rubbed off the finger smudges a bit after getting dissed on the first time I posted that pic on head-fi. It's much cleaner looking now. I forgot the amps - a way too loud 100 watt Fender Roc Pro 1000 (tube-hybrid) that now serves as dial-twiddling duty for my kid, and a Fender Mini-Twin (smaller than a pignose!) that actually has a nice snarly transistory growl at low listening levels.

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:16 PM Post #10 of 25
I don't have time / lifestyle to play out any more.... sigh. So Im more of a collector and couch wanker now. Here are my Kramers... not pictured is an ESP/LTD 7 string, Korean Ibanez RG, Fender Prodigy, Hamer duo-tone and a Washburn Steve Salas signature.

From the vintage kramer www site...
garret.jpg

Heres a clip of 2 of my fevorite players...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...49&q=van+halen

Garrett

Dec 16, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 25
from my profile:

Yairi 6-string, 2 Yamaha Classical guitars (one slim line, the other full size), Martin Backpacker, Guild S100, Washburn 12-string, Sakai Telecaster, Gibson LP Jr., Trace Elliot TA35R, Line 6 Looper, Zinky Blue Velvet 50w (my pride and joy), Ibanez 4-string bass, Fender Fretless P-Bass (flatwounds baby), Nemesis 200w Bass Amp, Crate 50w bass amp, Roland XP30, Mountain Rhythm Djembe, LP Congas, mics, pedals, trumpets, clarinets, saxophones, lions, tigers, bears

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #13 of 25
I've been playing off and on for the past 10 years. Gear consists of an Ibanez JS-1000, BOSS GT-5, and a Marshall JCM600.

Hey Skudmunky - Which brand and model of electric violin is that?

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #14 of 25
I've been playing on/off for 15 years. I'm in the process of dumping much of the gear I've collected over that time, but I should be holding onto a Les Paul '57 reissue, Grosh strat, an Aiken Invader 1x12 combo, and Allen Class Act (5 watt tube amp I built from a kit) for my electric needs. For acoustic I have a Huss and Dalton CM and a Larrivee parlor.

I also frequent TheGearPage.net which is like Head-fi for gear sluts.

Dec 16, 2005 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau

I also frequent TheGearPage.net which is like Head-fi for gear sluts.

Uh oh! That looks like a dangerous place to visit! I have an old Black Gold Morley Volume Wah that works great as a volume pedal (the RocPro is WAY too loud) but has too short of a throw for the wah. Maybe I'll check that place out and see what will give me a beefy long throw and still have a volume pedal option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back