Anyone picking up the new Disturbed today?
Sep 20, 2005 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I'd like to check it out but I was a little disapointed with their last album and I can't find any song samples from the new album to listen to before I buy.

Can anyone chime in and tell me if it's any good?

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 8
Disturbed is the only nu-metal band I listen to. Loved the first album, so-so on the second. Having heard the third in it's entirety, I can say it rests somewhere inbetween the two. Not quite as hard as the first, nor as soft as the second, it's a hybrid. Can't really go into detail song by song, but it's an inconsistent album. Some I find quite enjoyable, others just don't work. Throw in a weird cover of Phil Collins, and that's the album. I will be picking it up, there's enough enjoyable tracks, and I've certainly bought far worse.

Sep 20, 2005 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the insight! Metal or "Nu metal" bands never seem to top their first album. I loved the first Disturbed as well and was also so so on the second. The first one was way over played but still good. Best Buy has it for 9.99 so I guess I'll give it a go.

Same thing with Mudvayne... their third album was also a hybrid of the first two. And Marilyn Manson... well he never came close to toping his first album.

Sep 20, 2005 at 8:02 PM Post #4 of 8
I think the problem is the limited confines of nu-metal itself. Not many bands can pull off what I call the "AC/DC", which is replicating the same song for decades with great success. Nu-metal is a quick cash-in/cash-out, and the bands that attempt to lengthen their success either have to hope for the "AC/DC", or alter the sound, as Disturbed did on album two. The reception was mixed, so rather than try to fully replicate the massive success of album one (which would have been fairly to tough to repeat), they choose to find the mid-ground and please both fans of the first and second albums. IMO, it doesn't really do either. It may in fact, fall short on both ends. As I stated, some tracks are good, others just don't cut it.

Sep 20, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by EyeAmEye
As I stated, some tracks are good, others just don't cut it.

Agreed, worth the $10 though

Sep 21, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 8
NO.
wencats.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back