Anyone pick up the new Tori Amos album?
Feb 24, 2005 at 8:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Canman

Headphoneus Supremus
I am interested in any comments on the new Tori Amos album, The Beekeeper. I have been enjoying some of the new cuts on the radio, like the duet with her and Damien Rice and another one I forget the name of. What I have heard so far seems more straightforward and less rythmically complex as her older stuff. Does this album hold up to her previous works?

Feb 24, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 14
I've had it for a couple days now, so far, mixed opinions. Some songs are great, some are crap, and the rest aren't really memorable. "Sweet the Sting" and "Marys of the Sea" are among her best work ever, while "Jamaica Inn" and a few others are downright horrible and could honestly be mistaken for generic teeny-bopper crap. It's definitely an uneven album that doesn't really have much if any flow to it. IMO it's probably the 2nd or 3rd worst album she's released so far, wait for it to go on sale for $10 before buying it.

Feb 25, 2005 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 14
Hey Canman, I noticed Tori is playing in Philly shortly. Check the local street press.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, make sure you are at the Trocadero for Motorhead and Corrosion of Conformity, March 16th from memory
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
"Sweet the Sting" and "Marys of the Sea" are among her best work ever, while "Jamaica Inn" and a few others are downright horrible and could honestly be mistaken for generic teeny-bopper crap. It's definitely an uneven album that doesn't really have much if any flow to it.

I second this opinion. I also agree that, compared to the rest of her albums, it is certainly at the bottom of the stack. That said, I think that such a stack is a pretty darn good stack and being at the bottom of it doesn't mean it isn't worth having.

I didn't regret buying it.

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the comments folks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
Hey Canman, I noticed Tori is playing in Philly shortly. Check the local street press.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, make sure you are at the Trocadero for Motorhead and Corrosion of Conformity, March 16th from memory
wink.gif

Motorhead sounds just like Tori Amos, right?
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Canman
Motorhead sounds just like Tori Amos, right?
wink.gif

Well...umm...Tori Amos did do a cover of "Raining Blood" by Slayer so it's not that much of a stretch...
icon10.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #8 of 14
The musical "talent" still seems to be there but much less creativity. Like she gave up and had to force this one out.

Feb 26, 2005 at 2:03 AM Post #9 of 14
Just finished listening for the first time...mostly I like it, it's overlong and there's nothing stunning, but it's fine. Scarlet's Walk was better, at least that's my first impression.

Feb 26, 2005 at 3:53 AM Post #10 of 14
After hearing it more it's growing on me a bit, and I think if it were cut down to around 10 songs it would be a much better album, probably right up there with "Choirgirl".

Feb 26, 2005 at 6:56 AM Post #11 of 14
I gave this album to my fiance, and so we put it on to listen to tonight. All I have to say is, "I Can't See New York" from Scarlet's Walk single handedly beats this entire album to a pulp. Don't get me wrong, I like this album but not NEARLY as much as I liked Scarlet's Walk, and certainly not as much as the older albums such as Little Earthquakes.

Ther is hardly any feeling or emotion in this album. It is very monotonous and kinda dull. Her voice just has no flair. I mean, c'mon, this is Tori Amos, a woman with more vocal and songwriting talent than entire countries, and I am telling you she did not put her mind and voice into this album. As flaming as that sounds, it is still better than most filth put out these days
600smile.gif

Feb 26, 2005 at 5:02 PM Post #13 of 14
Geez, you guys almost talked me out of purchasing it. It's enjoyable, original, and with excellent acoustics. Seems much like good ol' Tori to me (what more could a person ask?).

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #14 of 14
The biggest problem is that "Scarlets Walk" (which was her best effort in years) absolutely dwarfs this one in terms of quality.
That said, given the garbage that spews out of what passes for the music world these days, even second rate Tori is the equivalent of Beethoven in comparison.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back