Anyone Pick up the LaRocco Pocket Reference?
Feb 19, 2004 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Nqstv

100+ Head-Fier
I've read LaRocco's Site and emailed Larry, but I've been waiting for someone to speak up about their experience with it.

I've got a META42 Portable now (8620 Opamp) and would like to find something that drives the ETY4S's a little more forcefully in the lower ranges. I'd also be using my HD600's with it.

I've got to say that the pocket reference has me a little intrigued. Either that or a Supreme from Headroom.

[Edit] I suppose I should provide a link Pocket Reference

Feb 19, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 47
What is it comparable to? Pimeta, PPA, Perreaux? How does it rate? It's in the same range as the Perreaux and PPA's.

Feb 19, 2004 at 7:35 AM Post #6 of 47
jeez, but it looks like it's down a dB in response at 600 kHz. My bat might think it's rolled off!
biggrin.gif
What is the op amp?

Feb 19, 2004 at 7:40 AM Post #7 of 47
There was a thread on this about a week and half ago (I asked the question, actually)...

Turns out the design is 2/3 PPA... so basically a part PPA design that's been modified to be able to work with 2 9-volt batteries.. and other things I don't even understand.. LOL.

It should be higher quality than the Pimeta. It's also semi-portable because of its capability to run off 2 9-volts, and also charges the 9-volts when you run it off the AC adaptor.

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 47
So what is the Pimeta considered 1/3rd of PPA's performance? Not sure if it justifies the $200 leap, when that could be a Pimeta and a Pereaux, but then I guess what's the point if you can have the performance of both in 1, but if I'm understanding it's not as powerful as the Perreaux and PPA. The 2/3 of a PPA confuses me.

Feb 19, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Larry from LaRocco Audio replied to my email:
The Pocket and PPA are brothers of sorts. The Pocket is basically 2/3 the PPA with a virtual Ground driver instead of the Ground channel. Sound wise they have there own characteristics. The Pocket is Dynamic, warm and very lenient with less than optimal sources. The LaRocco PPA is Dynamic, vibrant and spacious. Great for intimate home listening.

So basically, I think it's a 2/3 PPA because it doesn't have a ground channel. Otherwise it's a mostly PPA design. He also said that this amp should be in the approximate class as the XP-7, by no means a Pimeta or a Meta should be compared with it.

I would also assume that a fully loaded PPA would be better... but it will have none of the portability.

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:21 PM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone
So basically, I think it's a 2/3 PPA because it doesn't have a ground channel. Otherwise it's a mostly PPA design. He also said that this amp should be in the approximate class as the XP-7, by no means a Pimeta or a Meta should be compared with it.

I would also assume that a fully loaded PPA would be better... but it will have none of the portability.

Useless you get a PPA w/battery board in Hammond case: about 2.25 H X 4 W X 6.375D

Just a little bigger than the pocket but it's going to cost more (much more for the LaRocca model) or you also get the XP-7 that gets better battery life.

The pocket dimesions: 1.375 H X 3.625 W X 6.375 D

Feb 19, 2004 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 47
Yeah, but PPA with the battery board uses like.. 24 AA batteries to run, doesn't it? It's still larger and not anywhere near portable. The Pocket Reference is at least closer towards portability.

XP-7 will work as well, one reason I got this is that I've already got the HR-2, so I wanted to try something different. However, XP-7 is still more costly than the Pocket Reference as well.

Feb 20, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #14 of 47
I ordered one the first day Larry posted the pics. I would pay the extra $$$ just for the case work over the other $250 pimeta amps, which this one isn't. (I plan on using this as a home amp until I can order the Deluxe PPA). But that's just me, it might not apply to everyone. This one is supposed to be a step up, plus you get the excellent case for about $100 more - not too bad.

I sent Larry an e-mail earlier this week asking about power supplies & batteries and he said he was working on my case and had my parts. I expect it early next week - fingers crossed. As I said before in another thread, I am a serious headphone noob but I could post my thoughts - I have been into stereos for over 20 years and should be able to give you a decent idea of what it sounds like.

Feb 20, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 47
Krafty,

Any input would be great. Like I said before, I'm torn between this and the Supreme from Headroom. I'd like to stay under $500 for a portable, otherwise I'd already have a cosmic reference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back