Anyone own the ATH-A500x?
Nov 1, 2012 at 2:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

sacrifice13

100+ Head-Fier
I searched for a while but I couldn't find any reviews on these.

If anyone owns these could you post some impressions? They look really good to me, and not too expensive either.

Anyone's views would be awesome:)

Nov 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi sacrifice13,

I am new to the audio world so i dont have much to compare them to other than the ATH-M50 (white box).
I have never done a review so I dont know how to do it
redface.gif

What I can tell you from my experience with them is that they are super comfy, much more comfortable than the M50. The "wing" feel super light on your head and the headband is not so tight as the M50. Earpads are bigger and are more spacious on your ears so I got less sweaty.
Leather padding is the same as the M50 so i think it will last a long time. If you have any more question about design fell free to ask.

I have them plugged in Asus Xonar DG. The did benefit from setting the gain to 32-64ohms just because the volume was to low when they were not amped (for my taste
normal_smile .gif
). I play only 320kbs mp3 with winamp player. I listen to mostly electronic music (house, dubstep, rnb, rap, even a bit of classical music), play games (team fortress 2, counter strike, starcraft 2, and many more). This headphones are superior in every way to the M50. The are much more detailed, bass is more controlled and the highs are not so harsh as the M50 are.
Soundstage is much bigger so they did a good job for gaming. I also play with dolby surround FPS games.

If you have any more questions I am more than willing to answer them.
Hope it helped

Nov 1, 2012 at 4:28 AM Post #3 of 4
Wow thank-you so much for the quick response, very informative! I don't own the M-50 but apparently it's very comparable to the Creative Aurvana Live! which I do have.

My biggest question is,1. How do these sound straight out of ipod/mp3 player? I do all my listening with just my ipod so I need something that will sound awesome unamped.

2. Do these excel in any genre in particular or would you say they are very good all-rounders?

3. You said these are really comfy, how long would you say you can wear these before becoming uncomfortable?

4. Do they benefit greatly from an amp? I have a fiio e6 which isn't that great and even though it's a portable amp I find it a effort to carry with me.

5. How big are they? I know Audio Technica is renowned for having quite large full-size cans so if these are huge that might be a bit of a turn-off

If you could answer these qurstions that would really awesome!

Nov 1, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #4 of 4
I am happy that I can help!

1. They sound good unamped in therms of sound quality but the overall sound volume is not as high as I would have liked. But I think this is a subjective thing and that you will be happy with sound volume. They sound good unamped but they do benefit from a amp. Maybe someone who understands headphones spec better can tell you if an ipod can drive them loud enough.

2. I think that they do excel in vocal music genres the most. I found them to be very good all-rounders because i listen to wide variety of music, play games and watch movies and they are very good in all those things.

3. They are super comfy! Sometimes I have them on for 3-4 hours and the are still comfy. People say that the M50 are comfortable, and I agree, but ATH-A500X are much better. They feel lighter than M50 and they dont clamp as hard as the M50.

4. They benefit from amp only in therms of sound volume. I cant hear difference is sound quality. I have a Asus Xonar DG which isn't great but is more than enough to drive them to super loud levels. Fiio e6 should be more than enough to drive them. Hope I gave you a good answer.

5. Hmm. People say that the M50 are big. To me M50 are not that big but when you compare them to A500X the are small. So yes the A500X are big. They are not made to be portable phones so I don't think you will be happy if you use them on airplane or something like that. I should also tell you even though they are closed back they leak more sound than you would expect them to.

Hope this helps you. If you have any more questions feel free to ask them and I will do my best to answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back