Anyone Overspend on an Item?
Apr 2, 2006 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

pawlowski6132

Banned
I just bought a pair of power tubes for my amp and probably paid more than I had to. I was pretty impulsive and just bought them because I thought it was a good price without knowing for sure - which is totally uncharacteristic. Now, as I always do, I am still scanning the market to validate that I got a good deal and, I didn't. God I'm so pissed!

With that said, I LOVE the product and do not have buyers remorse. And, I didn't get ripped off either. I just paid more than I have to. In fact, the same buyer is listing the exact same thing for $50 less than what I paid five days ago.

mad.gif

Anyone ever get ripped off, discover they paid too much, etc.??? How did you cope. Should I just move on? Get wrecked? Shut up and listen to some music?

Cheers.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #2 of 16
Sure it's happened to me in the past but I always look for the positive in every situation. You could have been taken for far more. These things always balance themselves out in my experience. Just make that $50 back selling something of your own down the line but don't get frustrated by the whole thing.

Enjoy the tubes, get wrecked, and listen to some good music. Do it all.

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 16
happends to me sometimes too. I make sure the item is refundable, and after I buy it I give it a quick froggle to make sure it was actually a good deal. Usually I go in knowing a lot about the product and the price. I think like a lot of people on head-fi I have an obsession with having as much consumer knowledge as possible. Of course in the end you do save a bit this way, but is it really worth the hours and hours spent on the internet researching and learning about it? Even if my time was paid in minimum wage, the answer is still no.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #4 of 16
$750 for my RS1. NIB from a local shop. Probably could have gotten it online for a bit less. But they were a gift from my wife so the added piece of mind for her was a bonus.

Garrett

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
Paid a bit too much for an item in my sig at the time but i deemed it acceptable considering i was bent on getting one.

Yes but, did you know you were paying more than you had too before hand?

I guess there's a difference between paying a premium for something for good reason and buying something and unknowingly paying too much.

A good example for me is that I went through a couple of pairs of used AKG K1000s and was not completely satisfied so, decided to pay $100 "extra" for a new pair that had warranty and never been worn before.*

*SIDEBAR: I had a pair of AKG K1000s that buzzed a bit on one side so, I took some compressed air and blew it out to see if there was something there. There seemed to be what I just imagined to be dust, dandruff and who knows what else from the previous owners. I'm gagging just thinking about it. I can't believe we buy used headphones. It's like buying used pants. Ughh.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #7 of 16
i paid too much for an SR60, turns out the average price on the FS forum was much less.

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #8 of 16
Buying something online and messed up on the currency conversion.

Ended up paying $35USD more then I had to. Infact it was a used item and the new version costs $35USD less...
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:22 AM Post #9 of 16

Ended up paying $35USD more then I had to. Infact it was a used item and the new version costs $35USD less...
frown.gif

Apr 2, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI

frown.gif

Ha! Too funny. Pain in the ass right?

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:22 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
Yes but, did you know you were paying more than you had too before hand?

Yes i did.I got some info on the value of it in terms of it's condition but went ahead with it anyways.

Sorry i guess i did not read you post very good.

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 16
I have gotten remarkedly great deals on headphone related gear. I do a lot of research before buying something that costs more than a few hundred dollars.

Well, except one time, but I just got really really lucky.
wink.gif

-Ed

Apr 2, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #13 of 16
I paid too much for a few pieces of vinyl.

One was a mint Japanese pressing of the Beatles White Album. Complete with poster and OBI strip. Sounds much better than any of the 3 other pressings that I have, but I still think I paid too much.

The second was a MFSL pressing of Chicago Transit Authority. Although I probably paid too much, I still think it was a bargain as I have not seen any of these OOP pressings show up on Audiogon or the Hoffman forums.

Last is a DCC pressing of the Eagles "Hotel California" mastered by Steve Hoffman. I think I have listened to it three times.

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #14 of 16
Weed and lots of it.

honestly that used to happen to me all the time, but now even tho it pains me to wait extra few days to get something i want im glad cuz i dont get rammed on the price

Apr 2, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #15 of 16
I bought a Bel Canto DAC 2 one year ago, for around 1000USD, which might've been ok, but the customs tax that came in addition to the price was horrible...better not mention that.
tongue.gif

I don't even regret paying a few bucks more for such a wonderful DAC though. The best investment in my system as of yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back