Anyone out there not blown away by an iMod?
May 4, 2007 at 1:11 PM Post #31 of 171
All,

I have received some emails last night asking about the future of the iMods:

Quote:

Someone on a Head-fi thread claimed you're about to either (i) stop production or (ii) stop offering refurbished iModded iPods.

I WILL continue to offer the iMod to those who send their iPod to me for the modification work.

Regarding selling fully modded 60GB iPods, ALO has purchased my entire stock of them, so they are now selling them (and they have not raised the price): http://www.aloaudio.com/Cryo%20X%20S...imod/imod.html

They also offer some dynamite iMod + cable combos
cool.gif

After all those 60GB iMods from ALO are all sold out, it might be very hard to get more in a large enough quantity to sell them as fully modded units, but the end user can still find them online (e.g. eBay, other online stores) and send them in to be modded.

Best regards,

Vinnie

May 4, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #32 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that is the whole beauty of the iMod. There is no "iPod sound" since the modification bypasses the internal headamp altogether. It is just taking the analog signal created by the wolfson DAC. You can tailor the sound with the amp you choose.

You are mistaken. Everything has a sound. It maybe more transparent now and you may just be hearing the actual Wolfson DAC instead of a little more in the signal path.

Just because it's more transparent doesn't mean it IS transparent.

Yes, you can tailor the sound with amps but I'm a member of source / upstream components first and simplicity. You add more things, you always take a step back and then you can move forward.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point, I have to 4th Gen 60 Gb iPods. One has the iMod and the other does not. I can tell the difference w/o even trying, it is so noticable.

Being able to tell the difference doesn't necessarily denote how it's better for you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrypt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(Do keep in mind that I, unlike Ian, tend to prefer neutrality and a fairly flat FR.)

Everybody has their own preferences. Once you identify what they are and if the reviewer is in your camp, then maybe the product might work for you. I do like neutrality and flat FR but my priorities are balance and dynamics which is not up to my standards in many audio products.

May 4, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #34 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are mistaken. Everything has a sound. It maybe more transparent now and you may just be hearing the actual Wolfson DAC instead of a little more in the signal path.

Just because it's more transparent doesn't mean it IS transparent.

Yes, you can tailor the sound with amps but I'm a member of source / upstream components first and simplicity. You add more things, you always take a step back and then you can move forward.

I totally agree with you but you took my statement slightly out of context. I put quotes around "iPod sound" for a reason. There is a general opinion of the inferior sound quality and signature of stock iPods. My opinion is that the built-in headamp is largely the culprit, at least in regards to the 4th gens (I have not heard recent iPods). Therefore, you take that piece out of the equation and you now have a cleaner path.

Therefore, to judge the iMod based on prior experiences with stock iPods is intrinsically flawed. You say you don't like how iPods sound - me neither (of the ones I have tried stock). But the iMod does not sound like an iPod. Whether the iMod meets your personal preferences, obviously I can't say. No one can other than yourself.

May 4, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #35 of 171
Quote:

Being able to tell the difference doesn't necessarily denote how it's better for you.

Sources: 1. iModded 4th Gen 60 Gb iPod, 2. 4th Gen 60 Gb iPod

Amp: RSA SR-71

IC's: 1. ALO Six Shooter Dock, 2. Revelation Audio Cryo Silver IC

Cans: AKG K501, and 2005 Beyer DT990 (250 ohm)

The iModded iPod has more detail, the notes extend further into the highs, there is more air between the notes, and the grainyness is gone. As an example the bells in various song sound sharper, better defined, and with more impact.

May 4, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #36 of 171
Quote:

I totally agree with you but you took my statement slightly out of context. I put quotes around "iPod sound" for a reason. There is a general opinion of the inferior sound quality and signature of stock iPods. My opinion is that the built-in headamp is largely the culprit, at least in regards to the 4th gens (I have not heard recent iPods). Therefore, you take that piece out of the equation and you now have a cleaner path.

Therefore, to judge the iMod based on prior experiences with stock iPods is intrinsically flawed. You say you don't like how iPods sound - me neither (of the ones I have tried stock). But the iMod does not sound like an iPod. Whether the iMod meets your personal preferences, obviously I can't say. No one can other than yourself.

If the headamp is largely the culprit for lesser sound quality, wouldn't that be circumvented by using the line out? I do not believe this to be the case. The iPods still have their own signature even in lineout and I can hear it regardless of amp or headphone. Quality and signature/character are different things. Surely the iMod is higher quality.

I'm not judging the iMod, just pointing out that "better" maybe not be "it" or "enough". It's totally possible not to be blown away by this (or any other product) just as the original poster has wondered. It's good to keep things realistic.

May 5, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #37 of 171
Hello i'm a noob here so please no flaming yet. I have a imod coming soon, and the other day i listened to a friends unmodded, unrockoxed and unamped 4th gen ipod and i heard what seemed to be like the sound of a spinning hard disk through the headphone-out with my UE10Pros. I've done a few searches on the imod and ipod, but no-one seemed to bring this topic up ever before. So the question is how do i get rid of this sound, its quite annoying when im listening to some of my favourite songs and then i hear a spinning hard disk sound all of a sudden
frown.gif

May 5, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #38 of 171
If it was on charge or connected to a power source this may happen - try without connection.

I'm not one to suggest spending loads of money on interconnects (loads of opinions on it tho...), but it may be part of the issue if your IC is not well shielded. Try a few different cables and see if it makes a difference.

Hope you find the problem.

May 5, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #40 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Within 3 days, I will be comparing:

iriver h120 > micro dac > xenos 1HA-epc > ety er4p

imod (ear candy mini to mini) > tomahawk > shure e500

2nd gen. nano (alo cotton dock) > tomahawk or xenos > ksc75, sony mdr-ex71 or above iem's

What's the point of comparing completely different players, amps and cans to each other? If you hear a difference, how do you know it's due to the mod and not all the other equipment?

See ya
Steve

May 5, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #41 of 171
Quote:

I totally agree with you but you took my statement slightly out of context. I put quotes around "iPod sound" for a reason. There is a general opinion of the inferior sound quality and signature of stock iPods. My opinion is that the built-in headamp is largely the culprit

I did a balanced level comparison of my iPod's lineout playing an AIFF file and the original CD, and couldn't detect any difference. It was identical. All I can figure is that if the modification is making a significant improvement, it must be altering the sound in some euphonic way. (or perhaps people aren't comparing balanced line levels.)

I need a headphone output myself, so I'm not going to get a modification to any of my iPods. There are times I don't want to lug an amp and big cans around.

See ya
Steve

May 6, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #42 of 171
I find it interesting that the 2 people that question (notice I say question, they are not out and out dismissing) the improvements of the iMod have not heard it. As far as I can recall across all posts that I've read from people who have iMods, they are thoroughly satisfied with them. I don't believe anyone has spoken up in regards to the OPs subject: someone who has an iMod and wasn't impressed.

Therefore only one conclusion can be made... the iMod totally rocks!!!
icon10.gif
Of course I think that regardless what anyone says and that's all that matters to me.
cool.gif

May 6, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #43 of 171
Quote:

I find it interesting that the 2 people that question (notice I say question, they are not out and out dismissing) the improvements of the iMod have not heard it. As far as I can recall across all posts that I've read from people who have iMods, they are thoroughly satisfied with them. I don't believe anyone has spoken up in regards to the OPs subject: someone who has an iMod and wasn't impressed.

Therefore only one conclusion can be made... the iMod totally rocks!!!
icon10.gif
Of course I think that regardless what anyone says and that's all that matters to me.
cool.gif

That's what struck me too. Vehemence and skeptism coming from somebody who didn't actually listen to iMod.

I myself hates iPod, but Vinnie makes an exception and iMod did not sound like any of my previous 3G, 4G and 5.5G iPods (all sold off)

May 6, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #44 of 171
Think logically.

Can you explain to me how an iMod could sound better than the original CD? The only way I can think of is that it is somehow coloring the sound. I won't pay hundreds of dollars and give up my headphone jack for that. If I'm going to spend that much money, I'll buy another iPod and have more music with me.

See ya
Steve

May 6, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #45 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think logically.

Can you explain to me how an iMod could sound better than the original CD? The only way I can think of is that it is somehow coloring the sound. I won't pay hundreds of dollars and give up my headphone jack for that. If I'm going to spend that much money, I'll buy another iPod and have more music with me.

See ya
Steve

How are you listening to that original CD? By holding it up to your ear? I assume you are playing it through a CD player. I personally don't have a decent CD player, but other people have testified to the fact that the iMod compares to CD players that cost about $1000. If your iPod with lineout sounds as good as a $1000 CD player, then more power to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back