Anyone other members into astronomy?
Jul 3, 2003 at 8:03 PM Post #31 of 41
A pair of 10x50s would not be too bad for backpacking. If you brought a telescope however, you would also need to bring a tripod.

Jul 4, 2003 at 12:28 AM Post #32 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by peter braun
A pair of 10x50s would not be too bad for backpacking. If you brought a telescope however, you would also need to bring a tripod.

So are 10x50s the binocs of choice? Just wondering as I came across a pair of 12x63s (I know a tripod is needed with these) that seem reasonably priced. I may even buy both, if I can swing a deal.

Jul 4, 2003 at 1:51 AM Post #34 of 41
It's not the greatest one in the world, but I wanted to get a Celestron G-3 a while ago, but they stopped producing it before I had enough dough...anyway, saving up to buy the panasonic ct800 and a d-777, and maybe a d-ej01---and SR80's...+HD580's and an amp!...GEEZE!
600smile.gif

Jul 6, 2003 at 6:54 AM Post #35 of 41
Spaceman,

I would stick to 10x50 because I dont think the extra 2x magnification will gain you much to make it worth the extra weight. Plus the extra aperature you would gain would also be eaten up by the extra magnification. As far as a tripod goes I cant use anything above 7x without a tripod before the wobbles start getting on my nerves. What kind of objects do you want to look at with your binocs? You are gonna be limited. When I first started I used mine to mostly get used to finding the Messiers. That way when I got a telescope I could find objects really easy. If you do use a tripod you will be able to resolve stars in some of the bigger open clusters like the BeehiveM44 for example. You will also be able to see all 4 of Jupiters moons if the air is calm. The rest of things in the sky will just appear as grey smudges or they will have a hint of granulation to them. It is still fun just finding them. As long as your expectations arent too high you will enjoy binoculars. Even in really large telescopes very few objects will give you any color. You could just buy some star charts and a red led flashlight and learn the constellations and the general area of the Messiers a lot of these are visible to the naked eye as little bright spots especially in really dark skies. This would be inexpensive and would also be a really good start.
Good luck with whatever you choose

Jul 6, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #36 of 41
Well said Sig,
Just to add: Scorpius and Sagittarius are up now. Prime time!
Get out your binoculars, telescopes or whatever viewing aids you have. Hell, just use your eyes and some dark skies. The summer sky rocks!
cool.gif

md

Jul 6, 2003 at 7:16 AM Post #37 of 41
I got into astronomy about 7 to 8 years ago but I haven't done much sky gazing since I moved to my current house (poor viewing conditions.) So my 6" Meade Dob and my 80mm Orion Refractor sit wating for me to take them out. I did manage to build a decent seleciton of lenses including some Televue's. It really is a shame I don't use it much anymore. Also, I dabled in digital astrophotography for awhile even building my own digital camera attached to a 1.25" tube. Worked pretty good considering the low budget I was on. Only problem was that I didnt' have a laptop at the time so I had to run USB cable from my telescope position outside to my computer in the living room. Focusing and snapping pictures was a real pain in the ass. I since have gotten a laptop but I haven't gotten around to trying it again. If I get it going I'll try to post some pics here.

Jul 6, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #38 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by SigmaOrionis
Spaceman,

I would stick to 10x50 because I dont think the extra 2x magnification will gain you much to make it worth the extra weight. Plus the extra aperature you would gain would also be eaten up by the extra magnification. As far as a tripod goes I cant use anything above 7x without a tripod before the wobbles start getting on my nerves. What kind of objects do you want to look at with your binocs? You are gonna be limited. When I first started I used mine to mostly get used to finding the Messiers. That way when I got a telescope I could find objects really easy. If you do use a tripod you will be able to resolve stars in some of the bigger open clusters like the BeehiveM44 for example. You will also be able to see all 4 of Jupiters moons if the air is calm. The rest of things in the sky will just appear as grey smudges or they will have a hint of granulation to them. It is still fun just finding them. As long as your expectations arent too high you will enjoy binoculars. Even in really large telescopes very few objects will give you any color. You could just buy some star charts and a red led flashlight and learn the constellations and the general area of the Messiers a lot of these are visible to the naked eye as little bright spots especially in really dark skies. This would be inexpensive and would also be a really good start.
Good luck with whatever you choose

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that I'll go with the 10x50s. I already have a star chart and red light, and have been reading some beginner literature, especially on binocular astronomy. I just want to learn the basics for now, so I am not expecting a lot. This stuff completely blows me away, reading about other galaxies, supernovae, and quasars. To be honest, I have always had an interest in NASA, but I had a bad telescope experience as a teenager, so I always thought this stuff was too complicated. I may even take an astronomy course this fall at the local university. Thanks again folks!

Jul 7, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #40 of 41
Spaceman, do you use a walking stick when you hike? If so, you have a portable monopod waiting to happen.

Jul 7, 2003 at 10:12 PM Post #41 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Audio Redneck
Spaceman, do you use a walking stick when you hike? If so, you have a portable monopod waiting to happen.

Yes, sometimes I do. Thanks, that is a great idea.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back