Anyone now anything about rice cookers?
May 12, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by c0mfortably_numb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is your favorite rice? This last bag of Thai Jasmine (Young Elephant) I got is super sticky no matter how I make it, rinse no rinse, cut back on the water etc.. Lately I been eating quit a bit of aged Basmatti which strangely enough says NOT to rinse it.

The brands vary from one store to another. Thai's fragrance rice is most desirable. You'd find the best selections in one of the Chinese/Vietnamese stores, or Siamese store if you're lucky to have one nearby. You can simply ask them for the older stock and long grain. Believe it or not, older stock is less sticky.

Do not over rinse your rice. The powder which coat the grains is the richest part of rice.... Don't wash away all the goodies.
wink.gif

Enjoy.

May 12, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #32 of 48
My standard type of rice for everyday consumption would be Japanese short grain calrose white rice or Chinese long grain jasmine rice. Both of them needs to be slightly on the sticky side or it just isn't right for me.

I also have a cheap Panasonic rice cooker with the glass lid for everyday cooking, it makes decent rice. I also have a Zojirushi fuzzy logic rice cooker which makes perfect rice and can keep the rice hot and moist for hours. As milkpowder has stated the fuzzy logic rice cooker is also excellent for cooking jook (aka congee or rice soup).

May 12, 2007 at 1:15 PM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The rice cooker, along with the popcorn machine, the George Foreman grill, the toastie machine and the smoothie maker are appliances I have never been able to fathom the existence of, they perform no task that cannot be achieved with standard kitchen equipment (pan of boiling water, microwave, grill or pan, grill or griddle, food mixer).

Appliances disgust me. They take up valuable space. Unfortunately they generally do the things they do just a little bit better than traditional equipment. (Foreman grill, for example. The smoothie maker is not an example. It sucks.) For people who eat rice often, cooking rice in a pan just doesn't fly. A rice cooker generally cooks rice more evenly, frees up an extra burner for when you're cooking involved meals, and gives you a few extra seconds to concentrate on doing something else. "It's like having an extra helper in the kitchen."

May 12, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #35 of 48
One last question I swear, I know it's shunned upon to put soy sauce on your finished rice, but sometimes I like a little sprinkle of Tamari sauce and or a drop of sesame oil.

What do you like on top of your rice, when you don't want it plain? I seen some shakers in the little asian marker here, I know it has either Kombu or Nori and I'm not sure what else, I thought about trying it though.

May 12, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #36 of 48
Quote:

(Young Elephant)

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Golden Elephant

Yay!

zojirushi.jpg

zomiricoandw_pic.jpg

Quote:

I seen some shakers in the little asian marker here, I know it has either Kombu or Nori and I'm not sure what else, I thought about trying it though.

Its dried fish flakes, shrimp, sesame seeds, nori, flower extracts, etc. Not bad sprinkled on top of rice and eaten with a salmon fillet, miso soup and some veggies on the side.

May 12, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #37 of 48
I thought of splurging on a Zojirushi Micom fuzzy model with the round bottom bucket (to avoid the rice crust that forms on sharp edges), but what I'd like is a model that can also make risotto, and as far as I know no rice cooker is able to do that.

When I was in college, an Indian roommate quickly made excellent fluffy rice in a bowl using a microwave. Unfortunately, I never wrote down his technique.

One thing you might want to try is authentic wild rice (can be found at Trader Joe's or organic food stores). It's actually not rice at all, but a different aquatic gram breed altogether, traditionally harvested from the Great Lakes by Native Americans, with a distinctive nutty flavor.

May 12, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

The rice cooker, along with the popcorn machine, the George Foreman grill, the toastie machine and the smoothie maker are appliances I have never been able to fathom the existence of, they perform no task that cannot be achieved with standard kitchen equipment (pan of boiling water, microwave, grill or pan, grill or griddle, food mixer).

Yeah....and why would anyone get expensive headphones and amps, when Apple Earbuds exist and the iPod can play into them?

[excuse me for bringing this up yet again, as others have replied more intelligently. But I thought the analogy was a good one. And thanks to all who gave me some interesting new toy to buy!]

May 13, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

One last question I swear, I know it's shunned upon to put soy sauce on your finished rice, but sometimes I like a little sprinkle of Tamari sauce and or a drop of sesame oil.

What do you like on top of your rice, when you don't want it plain? I seen some shakers in the little asian marker here, I know it has either Kombu or Nori and I'm not sure what else, I thought about trying it though.

I don't put anything on my rice and yes in traditional Japanese or Chinese meal, shoyu (soy sauce) is in general not an accepted condiment to be added to rice by many. However, despite that quite a few of my friends who are Japanese and Chinese do add a little shoyu to their rice.

If there's one thing I like to add to my rice once in a while and so do many other Japanese is the many varieties of Furikake or finely chopped dried seaweed and sesame seed rice seasoning. It also goes well lightly sprinkled over butter popocorn (Furikake popcorn):

http://www.amazon.com/JFC-Nori-Fumi-.../dp/B0006G5KEY

May 13, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #41 of 48
Soya sauce is regularly added to certain styles/recipes. For example when you go to have dim sum and order chicken feet/spareribs rice or rice with beef and raw egg, they'd always give you some slightly sweetened dark soya sauce.

May 13, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't put anything on my rice and yes in traditional Japanese or Chinese meal, shoyu (soy sauce) is in general not an accepted condiment to be added to rice by many. However, despite that quite a few of my friends who are Japanese and Chinese do add a little shoyu to their rice.

If there's one thing I like to add to my rice once in a while and so do many other Japanese is the many varieties of Furikake or finely chopped dried seaweed and sesame seed rice seasoning. It also goes well lightly sprinkled over butter popocorn (Furikake popcorn):

http://www.amazon.com/JFC-Nori-Fumi-.../dp/B0006G5KEY

Thank you for the link. I could not figure out what you guys were talking about in the few posts previous to this one. I need to try this stuff!

I have a cheap B&D rice cooker that isn't very good. I may look into something better here soon.

I have only tried one or two brands of Jasmine Rice. I couldn't tell any difference in the brands I tried. I am so limited on what I can get here. There is not much of an Asian community here, so finding things like rice cookers at an Asian market is not an option. There is no Asian market here, so things like that sprinkle on flakes stuff I never even heard of before.

The only thing I have ever put on a bowl of rice is honey. Most of my rice eventually ends up in a fry pan with kung pao sauce and green onions, eggs and some sort of meat/shrimp and/or veggies.

May 13, 2007 at 10:57 AM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

But the attraction with the rice cooker is its "set and forget" capability. We sprung for a high-end cooker that uses Zojirushi "Micom Fuzzy Logic" (marketing speak, haha!) to ensure that the rice is perfect and held at the perfect temperature. (In this case, technology actually results in ease of use.) We keep five different kinds of rice in large bins with scoops, eat rice all the time now.

But I agree with you that specialized machines are mostly kitchen clutter. An excellent rice cooker is an exception, IMHO, and I'm not even asian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back