Anyone looking forward to John Frusciante's, ''The Empyrean''?
Jan 23, 2009 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BloodSugar00

Headphoneus Supremus
I understand it's to be released on the 26/01/09, his first solo album for four years, it features Johnny Marr and Flea and is a concept album. I havn't listened to John in a quite a while- just branched out and got into so much more, musically- and so I'm looking forward to it! Though, I suspect I'll wait until I can get my hands on the Japanese print for the 2 bonus tracks
tongue.gif

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 5
No one else a fan of his solo work? It's, generally, very different to his input with the Red Hot Chili Peppers, both musically- being musch more experimental and diverse- and lyrically.

Jan 26, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jsaliga /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like Frusciante's work with the Peppers, but never got around to checking out his solo material. I will make it a point to do so.

--Jerome

Hey, sound dude, I'm sure you'll you'll find it interesting, at the least! Frusciante is renound for living, eating and breathing music and I always find it interesting to see him explore his own ideas and directions that might not make it into the Pepper's ouevre!

Having said that, some of his work- namely, his first two solo albums- is very dark and tortured (recorded and released, primarily when he was a heroin addict, at least partially to fund his habit) and is unfocused and very much reflective of someone in throws of serious drug addiction and whom is not really with it at all! There are some good pieces of music on those albums and some neat ideas but, as you can probably imagine, they aren't, for the most part, pretty or overly acessible (they are actually home recorded on some basic redording equipment). I'd advise against aquiring those to start with and look at his later working, ie from To Record Only Water For Ten Days onward. I'd personally recommend Shadows Collide With People and/or Inside of Emptiness, to start with. Shadows is a more heavily produced and musically dense album, with alot of studio attention and creative craft applied in that sense, but it chock full of interesting ideas and almost poppy musical passages and/or chord arrangements (that sits oddly with Frusciante's deep, almost train-of-thought lyrics, thinking and observations). Inside of Emptniness is quite similar lyrically, but musically, it is more raw and live feeling, with less studio souping. Both display a great sensibility for what sounds good, musically, even if his lyrics aren't so acessible (I, personally, can relate, but they are unconventional and are often just accounts of his inward thought patterns and wondrous nature). The Will To Death is also very good, and even rawer than Inside of Emptiness, but I just don't think it's as good of a place to start. And, of course, I can't vouch for The Empyrean, but it's his first attempt at a concept album and is bound to be abundant with interesting ideas and progressions!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back