Anyone listened to The Darkness, One Way Ticket to Hell ... and back?
Sep 1, 2008 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

asher7323

Head-Fier
Personally this is the CD I like to use to test out a new setup for quality.

Probably because it has some of my favorite songs of all time on it but when it comes to hard driving rock with high production values and great sound (They worked with the guy who produced for Queen) this is my go to album.

The often shrill vocals of the lead singer will bring out any flaws in the highs right away, which is personally my biggest pet peeve with any setup as I'm not a big bass fanatic but get fatigued easily if the highs are shrill.

Try Track 4- Dinner Lady Arms, one of my favorite songs and the chorus just sounds Godly on a good set of cans.

Anyways whenever I listen to this band or talk about them around here, no one really knows about them. =/ And if they do, it is only for the song "I Believe in a Thing Called Love" that gained marginal popularity here. I own their first album as well, but the quality of the recording is just not there as compared to their second album.

Anyone else a fan of this band? I've also been looking for music in a similar vein if anyone else is a fan of this style of rock more home in the 80's then today's rock scene.

The Darkness ROCKS. Give their second album a try if you are a fan of rock, and the so called "glam rock" style, although they themselves referred to it as "Classic Hard Rock."

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 6
They were pretty big in the UK (obviously being from UK) back in 2003/2004! They were very fresh and pretty unaminously very well recieved. I liked their stuff at the time of the first album/tour- in fact I saw them live! Forget about that totally!- loving the flasyness and exhuberance and energy of it! However, I soon found it a little lacking in depth and longevity of appeal. I have second album also but never really listened to it to be honest. I'll have to. Give em another chance now I'm a bit older and see what I make of it/get from it/them!
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #3 of 6
They rocked for a bit but it's kind of like...getting a big bag of cookies from grandma. They're AWESOME but after 4 or so you start to go "bleh..." haha.

Sep 1, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Yeah lol. At first they're the taste sensation then you simply get full. Maybe feel a touch sick.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 6
You'll notice the second one is much more refined...
Especially give track 4 a full listen.

Maybe it's my weird tastes but I think that is just one of the best songs ever recorded.

Sep 2, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #6 of 6
I've got both albums, and enjoy them. I actually mailed the first back to the distributor because I thought it was faulty - there are so many pops and crackles in the sound... but my replacement was exactly the same...

Still good, no-nonsense rock
smily_headphones1.gif

~Phewl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back