Anyone Listen to Turntablism?
Mar 4, 2002 at 3:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FlurkingShnit

100+ Head-Fier
Seeing as I remember there being a hip hop music thread on this board a while back, I figured I'd ask whether or not anyone listened to this no-too-often-talked about area of hip hop. I guess I'll start by listing some of my favorites.

Invisibl Skratch Piklz (can't mention turntablism and/or DJ'ing without these guys)

Beat Junkies (also a wonderful crew)

Cut Chemist (a guy that cuts up James Brown records and old 45's at live shows?! You have to mention him)

DJ Shadow (His Entroducing album showed that turntablism could be very musical as well as very technically impressive)

Kid Koala (Some of the funkiest funkin funk I've ever listened to. Real unique. I'm talking about his Carpal Tunnel Syndrome album of course)

Scratch from the Roots (ok ok, he's not a dj. But hey, he can make some of the most impressive technical turntablist sounds with just his mouth, and BETTER than some DJ's to boot. Being a beatboxer myself I'm a bit biased
biggrin.gif
)

The X-Men (X-ecutioners, X-rated guys, whatever their names are now. This crew has some great body tricks and techniques. Anyone know how good their new "Built From Scratch album" is?)

I'd love to mention some old school guys like Grandmaster Flash, Kool Herc and the like, and I have infinite respect for these guys, but I haven't heard enough of their stuff to truly appreciate. Anyone know of recordings with them?

On a totally different note, I recently followed some fellow Head fi'ers advice and bought the Miles Davis Bitches Brew Complete Sessions box set. Besides Kid Koala, this is DEFINITELY the funkiest piece funkin funk I've ever heard. Great jazz music from a great artist.

Mar 4, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 9
.........guess not.........I should stick to the undergroundhiphop.com boards maybe................
rolleyes.gif

Mar 4, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes, I have heard Cut Chemist and Kid Koala, and they have amazing technical skills! Not music I'll listen to on an everyday basis, but interesting and innovative nonetheless.

Mar 5, 2002 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 9
Flurk,

In additon to Miles fushion stuff like Bitches, I recommend you hunt down some Herbie Hancock fusion from the 70s(Headhunters, Thrust, Sextant), even some of his electronic/hip-hop stuff from the 80s and 90s --> present.

I still see mountains of new Headhunters and Thrust vinyl at Amoeba records.

Mar 5, 2002 at 5:29 PM Post #5 of 9
Yeah, I remember seeing Herbie Hancock featured on a lot of Guru from Gangstarr's Jazzmatazz albums. Well if you say he's worth it, I'll definitely be checking him out in the near future. Too bad there are no good record stores here in Houston. (That I know of.....Anyone care to make suggestions? I just moved here so I don't know where anything is)

Mar 6, 2002 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 9
I saw kid koala opening for radiohead this summer... a hell of a concert.

anyway, my fave turntablist cd* right now is slurped 2... it's just great.

*turntablist cd sounds like an oxymoron.

Mar 6, 2002 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 9
Like Jon, i got see to see Kid Koala last year with radiohead, he was good (hell, i was impressed!) and used clips from radiohead songs which drove the crowd wild.
wink.gif

Mar 6, 2002 at 6:50 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Jon Beilin
I saw kid koala opening for radiohead this summer... a hell of a concert.

anyway, my fave turntablist cd* right now is slurped 2... it's just great.

*turntablist cd sounds like an oxymoron.

Slurped 2? Is that the sequel to slurp with cut chemist and dj shadow on it? Where they cut up old 45 records and stuff? Because I have a slurp and I wonder if it's a sequel and if it is I want it and where did you get it and.............yeah........gimme gimme!

Mar 6, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #9 of 9
yes, it is the sequel. I picked it up at a small cd store. pretty sure you can find it on the internet. turntablelab has it, I think. I'd go so far as to say that it is at least as good as the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back