Anyone listen to (gulp!) pocket radio?
Apr 6, 2003 at 12:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JAG

100+ Head-Fier
I bought a pocket radio - Sagean DT200v. Its a nice radio, but expensive and doesn't seem much different from cheaper pocket radios except for price. Oh, it does get tv channels as audio.
I thought it might be good at work, but unless I am pressed up to a window - no msic. I get mostly static and obscene crackling noises of dead air - Augh!
I was hoping I could use px200's with this, these phones do not act very well as antenna.
Can anyone recommend a small radio that will receive in office buildings. My cell phone does better than this!
I was

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

originally crapped on by JAG: I bought a pocket radio - Sagean DT200v. Its a nice radio, but expensive and doesn't seem much different from cheaper pocket radios except for price. Oh, it does get tv channels as audio.
I thought it might be good at work, but unless I am pressed up to a window - no msic. I get mostly static and obscene crackling noises of dead air - Augh!
I was hoping I could use px200's with this, these phones do not act very well as antenna.
Can anyone recommend a small radio that will receive in office buildings. My cell phone does better than this!
I was

Whoa! I've had REALLY bad luck with the FM reception of all of the pocket headphone radios that I have ever tried everywhere where there are lots of fluorescent lights, such as most office buildings. Those fluorescent light fixtures actually transmit radio-wave frequencies that actually interfere with FM radio reception. So, the only way that you'll EVER be able to listen to a pocket FM headphone radio in such a setting is to sit next to an exterior window.

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 8
Eagle_Driver...
I wasn't necessarily crapping on the Sangean DT200v. I try not to be that judgemental.
And...I could write a list of good things. But...I am disappointed about the reception in office because this was a highlight favorably described in a review that I read, prompting me to buy. I guess the reviewer sat next to a window.
Other than the office, the reception is great! I live in DC and can hear stations in Baltimore clear and rich.
Thanks for observations about flourescent effects on fm.

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Eagle_Driver
Whoa! I've had REALLY bad luck with the FM reception of all of the pocket headphone radios that I have ever tried everywhere where there are lots of fluorescent lights, such as most office buildings. Those fluorescent light fixtures actually transmit radio-wave frequencies that actually interfere with FM radio reception. So, the only way that you'll EVER be able to listen to a pocket FM headphone radio in such a setting is to sit next to an exterior window.

There is a reference to electrostatic and electromagnetic interference on this page regarding the Sony portable FM radios:
Sony SRF-S83...the most sensitive portable FM radio ?

Apr 6, 2003 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 8
No problem, JAG. The "crapped on" part was sarcasm...
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2003 at 6:52 AM Post #8 of 8
I have a tiny high-end digital radio from Sony, the T615. You can find it at audiocubes.com. This is the best little radio to own. Great reception, even indoors at work on the 10th floor surrounded by 100 computers. and it has like 40mw output, goes crazy-loud. There's a small built in speaker if you are desperate and no headphones. Check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back